• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I have seen alot of Salim Stoudamire

uga2006

For the haters on this board dissing Salim go watch some tapes of this kid ball. You think JJ Reddick can shoot because ESPN is all over Duke's nuts but Salim was by far the best shooter in college and he's already the best shooter the Hawks have by far. Anyone who wants to say well we'll see how he'll shoot the NBA 3 go look at tapes he was always drilling 3's NBA distance and more. His stroke is so sweet and he get's real good air on his shot it is really hard to defend this guy.

He isn't a "pure" pg because he was never asked to run the team but he has alot of experience doing it though. His first three years he was the PG for Arizona he became the go to guy his Senior year and didnt dissapoint. BK got the steal of the draft at 31 this kid should've been a top 20 pick easy. You will be happy to have Salim as a Hawk he won't dissapoint he can hang with anybody in the NBA right now as far as shooting goes and that goes for Peja,Korver,Allen,etc. Salim is what we call a baller and it's as simple as that he just has skill.

Quote:

Salim is what we call a baller and it's as simple as that he just has skill.

And I think that's exactly how BK looks at it. If he can develop into a PG, great, we have the best shooting PG in the league. If he can't, we have the best shooting bench guy in the league. No matter what, I feel infinitely better about our odds of winning a close game down the stretch if he's in there to take big 3s. He loves the pressure and has no range issues.

As you put it, he's a flat out baller.

I heard BK with my own ears yesterday on 790, in his own noncommittal, evasive way he said, "Salim is a point guard, not a certain kind of point guard, but when he is in the game he will bring the ball up the court".I don't know exactly what "certain kind of point guard means", but we all know that once BK annoits someone to a position, come hell or high water thats what they are..I also read that the Hawks scouts who watched Salim closely last season felt he could play the NBA point..I believe what BK sees, with Salim on the court defenders will have to stay with him so far out on the court it is gonna open up lanes for all of our slashers..Lets face it, the reason Lue had a few nice offensive games last year was that other teams really didn't guard him at all on the perimeter and he got hot and hit a few shots..With Salim, teams will have to play on him and not just pack the middle. If he can get the ball up the court, he will play point

I heard the same interview and have a different opinion about what Knight said. He never said that when Salim was in the game he was in the game to play PG. He said he could play PG, not the traditional PG, but one of a certain kind.

The fact that they were still looking to draft a PG after the Salim pick should tell you something.

We can all agree that Salim is a baller, we'll see if he becomes our franchise PG or not.

Thats the one thing I love about the Salim pick. No team last year really had to worry about the threat of an outside shooter last year and would pretty much sag back in the lane and dare us to shoot. It's going to be a little different this year with Salim on the floor.

I watched a few of his games and the kid has game. I like his confidence and I think he can only get better. Some on this board would not be happy if we drafted MJ out of college, they would find some flaw in his game so just tune them out. At 31 Salim was the steal of this draft...........

I think you guys are getting confused. When we criticize Salim as a PG, we're not saying that it was a bad pick. It was a great pick. The more I think about it the better it was.

The problem is using him as your starting PG, it's at best a temporary solution. He's great for coming off the bench for scoring, but franchise point guard, give me a break.

• Moderators

I agree Salim probably won't be a franchise PG but he is definitely worth the 31st pick in the draft by a lot, IMO.

As far as Chicago PG/sharpshooters go the one you want to compare him to is John Paxson who was the starting PG much of his career and hit huge shots to help the Bulls win their first three championships with MJ. He started 369 games over his career.

Quote:

I think you guys are getting confused. When we criticize Salim as a PG, we're not saying that it was a bad pick. It was a great pick. The more I think about it the better it was.

The problem is using him as your starting PG, it's at best a temporary solution. He's great for coming off the bench for scoring, but franchise point guard, give me a break.

No I do not think I am confused, nor do I believe that BK believes Salim our PG of the future, despite what he is saying (spinning) on the radio. All of this buzz over that spin is comical. BK would not be a GM if he did not "know" about positions and would be out of work quickly if he ignored the importance of postions and roles. BK will get a point guard and he will not be undersized for the position.