• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks making a run at Joe Johnson.

KB21

According to a couple of reports, the Hawks are rumored to be hot and heavy after Joe Johnson and may offer him a deal close to the max. It will be interesting to see how high Phoenix will go to match the offer, especially if the Richardson deal to New York doesn't go through.

This brings up an interesting topic. Everyone knows that Joe Johnson is a great ball handler and can set an offense. I believe the Hawks may be looking at him to run their point guard position, and I speculated when he was drafted that he would eventually be a point guard.

Think about it. If this goes down, and Atlanta is able to get a post man like Jamaal Magliore in here, they will have:

G - Joe Johnson (6'8")

G - Josh Childress (6'8")

F - Marvin Williams (6'9")

F - Josh Smith (6'9")

C - Jamaal Magliore (6'11")

Who would be able to match up with that line up defensively?

I think Larry Hughes may also be a guy the Hawks take a long, hard look at. It may not happen, but the fact that there is some noise out there about Atlanta going after Joe Johnson gives you an idea of what Billy's vision is.

Like I have said before, if all else fails, Ronnie Brewer is our man in the 2006 draft.

Why all the love for a guy who is 6'8 and can play a little point? I am not knocking Joe Johnson he is a good shooting guard but not what we want as a Pointguard. Give me a guy 6'2 who has good speed and can breakdown defenses and kick the ball out to the open man.

Quote:

According to a couple of reports, the Hawks are rumored to be hot and heavy after Joe Johnson and may offer him a deal close to the max. It will be interesting to see how high Phoenix will go to match the offer, especially if the Richardson deal to New York doesn't go through.

This brings up an interesting topic. Everyone knows that Joe Johnson is a great ball handler and can set an offense. I believe the Hawks may be looking at him to run their point guard position, and I speculated when he was drafted that he would eventually be a point guard.

Think about it. If this goes down, and Atlanta is able to get a post man like Jamaal Magliore in here, they will have:

G - Joe Johnson (6'8")

G - Josh Childress (6'8")

F - Marvin Williams (6'9")

F - Josh Smith (6'9")

C - Jamaal Magliore (6'11")

Who would be able to match up with that line up defensively?

Can I have some?

Larry Hughes would be the better option, he's a vet, we need a vet, and a leader for our young hawks. I don't really want Joe Johnson, because I see Childress being the same player, if he could get his shot down, and I'd stick with Childress for now.

Compare rookie seasons between Joe Johnson and Josh Childress. Joe Johnson wasn't the best shooter his rookie year, and he improved very much with hard work.

Quote:

Johnson's orbital fracture is much, much less of a concern than Eddy Curry's irregular heart beat.

I agree.

Doc, if he can pass the physicals, I say go for it. If we offer him the max, would It will force the suns to max out to keep him? If so we should do it, I am not sure they want to max out just yet.

I'll bet these reports were prior to the draft.

With the drafting of Salim, the need for a 3-point shooter at SG has lessened. Although I realize Salim may play both PG and SG. It is too early to tell whether Salim can play PG full time (I am doubtful he can do it at least this year).

Along with Salim, Marvin can hit the 3-pointer too.

Also, I don't see the Hawks being able to give both Childress and Johnson enough playing time to keep both players happy. That is, if the Hawks are committed to Childress.

And, yes, if we did get Johnson, Childress could play SF, but that runs into Smith and Marvin, which is another hot topic.