• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Drobs cut....Randolph Morris invited to camp!!!

emeans

Good news!!!! Salim says he can handle to point and should do well there. We cut Drobs and we might have Morris on this roster!!

Read.............

Salim Stoudamire held on to his first Hawks jersey for all of 30 seconds before Hawks general manager Billy Knight handed the white No. 20 jersey to his mother, Theresa Williams-Stoudamire.

"He knows what to do," a smiling Stoudamire said Thursday as he and Knight posed for cameras during his introductory news conference.

Knight knew exactly what to do Tuesday night when Stoudamire was still on the NBA draft board when the second round began. The Hawks didn't hesitate to take the 6-foot-1, 186-pound guard from Arizona with the 31st pick.

"We tried to trade up to get him," Knight said. "We really feel he was the best shooter in college basketball. Anywhere on the floor he's a threat, and he'll bring that element to our team. He hit so many game-winning shots for his college team, so we know he'll take those shots."

Stoudamire nailed three game-winning shots during his senior season and led the nation in 3-point shooting, making a staggering .504 percent (120-of-238) of his long-range shots and breaking his school single-season record .

"At Arizona I played out of position [at shooting guard], so a lot of people didn't see what I can do," he said.

But is point guard, a glaring need for the Hawks, his natural position?

"I'm a guard," Stoudamire said. "Put me in a point guard position or a shooting guard position and you'll get positive results."

Drobnjak waived

The Hawks decided Thursday not to pick up the option on backup center Peja Drobnjak's $3.1 million contract for next season. Drobnjak averaged 8.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in just over 20 minutes per game last season.

Auction time

Marvin Williams has been a Hawk for less than a week and already he's causing a stir in cyberspace. A Hawks draft cap and Hawks jersey signed by the No. 2 overall pick will be featured in an online auction (WNBA.com) on July 5.

Summer camp

The Hawks will conduct a three-day rookie/free agent camp at Philips Arena July 11-13 before heading to Salt Lake City for the Rocky Mountain Revue summer league July 15-22.

An invitation has been extended to former Landmark Christian and Kentucky standout Randolph Morris, who was not drafted Tuesday night.

Morris still has the option of returning to Kentucky, thanks to a seldom-used NCAA rule that allows student-athletes to enter a professional league's draft once without penalty, provided they haven't signed with an agent.

Morris would have to pay for all his expenses for any workouts he participated in for NBA teams. And he'd also have to notify Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart, in writing, of his intentions within 30 days of the June 28 draft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Drobnjak waived

The Hawks decided Thursday not to pick up the option on backup center Peja Drobnjak's $3.1 million contract for next season. Drobnjak averaged 8.4 points and 3.4 rebounds in just over 20 minutes per game last season.

I don't get the chance to pat myself on the back very often, but I found this out months ago and was just waiting to confirm it.

Drobs wasn't waived, he had a team option for this year in his contract. Chad Ford mentioned it in an Insider a couple of months back - actually he just listed his name.

What that means is that his entire salary doesn't count against the cap - gving the Hawks an additional $3.1M in cap space.

He was basically an expiring contract, which explains why the Bobcats and Hawks were willing to trade for him.

From ESPN:

13. Kwame Brown, PF/C, Wizards ®

BrownThe skinny: Despite all of Kwame's problems, teams are still interested. In fact, since the Wizards suspended him in the playoffs, the interest has gone up. Before, many GMs felt that Washington would match any offer for Brown. Not anymore. Brown, an athletic 7-footer who's still just 23, has value. A team such as Atlanta, desperate to turn around its fortunes, might just send a significant contract his way. Brown played high school ball in Atlanta and still has a fan base there. Given the loads of cash the Hawks have to work with, they might be able to afford him, Dalembert and a point guard such as Earl Watson .

I was listening to the SEC radio show Conference Call on my way home from work and they were talking about Morris. They had a reporter from Kentucky on the air. It seems that no one really knows if he signed with an agent or not for sure. This much is known, when he went to the Chicago Draft camp, he was seen with an agent and when he finally did declare he was staying in the draft, the announcement was made by the same agent he was seen with earlier. Right now no one is saying anything to whether he actually signed with an agent or not, but the reporter said that if he does decide to return to college, there would be an investigation conducted to see if he did in fact sign.

Personally, I think we'd be an ideal team for him to sign with. It's obvious we're void of any real talent at the 5 and if he plays half way decent in the summer he would be a lock to stay on the roster.

Quote:

why would we go after Morris

Because Collier is the only center on our roster and IMO he was consistantly the worst player we had last year. Since it's not costing us anything cap wise, why not invite Morris to play on the summer team? You never know, there are a few undrafted players every year that make teams' roster.

I've got nothing against inviting Morris to camp, but he's just as soft as collier. He might get a few boards, but neither one is really good enough to be an NBA backup.

FYI 790 was saying the other day that Denver and San Antonio both wanted to draft schenscher at the end of the 2nd round but he told them not to, that he wanted to be a free agent. Now he's deciding between the 2 teams for summer camp and will probably end up on one of their rosters

Morris is 6-10. Josh Smith, Al, and Marvin are 6-9. So he is only an inch taller than our SF and PF. He scored 8+ points and 4 rebounds a game at Kentucky. Not many blocks and frequently in foul trouble. I just don't see how he is a solution at C. Maybe a backup at PF?

I have never seen him play, so what am I missing? Or is he just a hometown favorite. He was evidently a very good student. His departure style (by fax) from Kentucky was a bit disturbing - anyone know what prompted that?

yeti