• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We dont NEED a rebounding Center

Admin

Without a decent center last year we were one of the top rebounding teams in the league because we have guys who are better than average rebounders for their positions at the 2 and 3 positions. If you figure that after moving Al and sliding Marvin in we should at least stay level there and then add a bigger than Lue PG, we should increase our rebounding from last year. That allows us to trade for Curry, who is not a classic rebounding center. No, he doesnt play great defense, but not because he cant. He could be a good defender, or at least solid if he wanted to. What he can do is be an unstoppable beast in the post on offense and I can remember when Knight said during the last month of the season while we were playing in Chicago how much he liked Curry.

The point is, if we sign a guy like Hughes or Johnson to play the point we will be more than capable of having an underachieving rebounder at center because the other positions more than make up for it. I know some of you wont grasp this concept, but to be able to add potentially the 2nd best offensive center in the game behind Shaq at such an early age could be a major steal for this franchise, especially if it only costs us Al.

I agree with you with as long as we get a good defensive point to slow down the penetration that kills us continually..We either need a good defensive point guard or a good defensive center..You can't win without at least one of the 2..

The bottom line is... we need a goon.

We need someone with a big body (either thick or a true 7 footer) who can play good D both on his man and on help situations, and pull down boards. I know we have great rebounding forwards, but I still would like a rebounding center. Holding a team to 1-shot possessions every time is huge.

We're not going to find the perfect center, but I would like to get a rebounder if possible who can throw good outlet passes so we can run.

Quote:

The bottom line is... we need a goon.

We need someone with a big body (either thick or a true 7 footer) who can play good D both on his man and on help situations, and pull down boards. I know we have great rebounding forwards, but I still would like a rebounding center. Holding a team to 1-shot possessions every time is huge.

We're not going to find the perfect center, but I would like to get a rebounder if possible who can throw good outlet passes so we can run.

Can Kermit Washington still lace 'em up?

Offensively, Smoove, Marvin, Curry would be a SICK ass frontcourt.

Defensively, it could suffer. I do think Curry would have to step it up b/c Smoove is a little slight to play PF. I think Smoove could be a 9 RPG PF, though.

I envision him as maybe a 16/9 guy with nasty blocks and transition dunks. Don't think he'll ever have the offensive game to put up 20, but he might.

• Premium Member

First off, I understand that you believe we should get Curry. I think that while he is a good post scorer, his rebounding sucks and his defense is shotty.. Now.. Why is rebounding important?

Look at the makeup of our team. We are not building a team that will play halfcourt basketball. We are building a team that will be fast breakers. The most important thing in fast break basketball is getting the rebound and making the outlet pass.

The other thing is that you mention we were a good rebounding team. Well some of that was due to Chillz/Smoove playing hard and rebounding better than expected... But a lot of it was Walker. When we changed over from Walker to Al, we took a big hit in rebounds.

Here's a statistical view of some things:

Hawks Stats by position

When you examine the above carefully, you find that we give up a lot of points up close... In the paint. This is bad rebounds and second chance shots.

Eddy Curry exam.

When we examine Curry, he gives up a lot of points and his rebounding nets are negative on/off court... That means he's more of a liability on the court defensively/rebounding wise...

Curry Exam 2

The Hawks just need a C who plays good defense. A decent sized C (i.e.: weight wise) who can block some shots (doesn't need to be blocking machine). And can make good outlet passes. And doesn't foul out alot.

Offensively, the C wouldn't have to score much all the time because the players we have at the other positions should end up with most of the scoring.

I'd perfer a center that knows how to rebound, and knows how to shot block. We don't exactly need a rebounding center, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't focus on one. Dalembert understands how to rebound and block shots. The same goes for Tyson Chandler PF/C. Eddy Curry needs to show that he can rebound, but I think he's being a bit shy on what all he can offer a team.

The ideal center for us would be a Jamaal Magloire.

Since we were a good rebounding team last year, shouldn't we play to our strengths and try to control the glass even more?

I'm not.. When assembling any team, in anything (be it basketball, baseball, or Dungeons & Dragons), you have to decide whether to shore up your weaknesses or play to your strengths. Rarely can you find the player who can help you do both!

Good point. A team with a great rebounder at the 5 along with a SG and SF who can each get 8 rebounds per game would dominate the glass. The only thing you can have too much of in basketball is scoring. There are only so many shots to take. You can never have too much rebounding, defense, passing, etc.

If you can out-rebound your opponent by 10 on a nightly basis, you are going to win some games. Add some consistent scoring and average on ball defense and you have a playoff team.

Too much scoring? As someone with a Jeff Fryer Albany Patroons CBA card, I rankle at the thought of there ever being too much scoring. Paul Westhead for Coach? smile.gif

Quote:

I agree that a big rebounder isn't essential, but I would love to get another shot blocker in addition to Josh.

Wehat was the last championship team to win a title

without a 10RPG+ center? It's had to have been a pretty

good while. I'd guess Horace Grant... But I think he

hit double figure rebounds in a season or two. But the

Bulls are the exception to alot of things.

Quote:

Without a decent center last year we were one of the top rebounding teams in the league because we have guys who are better than average rebounders for their positions at the 2 and 3 positions. If you figure that after moving Al and sliding Marvin in we should at least stay level there and then add a bigger than Lue PG, we should increase our rebounding from last year. That allows us to trade for Curry, who is not a classic rebounding center. No, he doesnt play great defense, but not because he cant. He could be a good defender, or at least solid if he wanted to. What he can do is be an unstoppable beast in the post on offense and I can remember when Knight said during the last month of the season while we were playing in Chicago how much he liked Curry.

The point is, if we sign a guy like Hughes or Johnson to play the point we will be more than capable of having an underachieving rebounder at center because the other positions more than make up for it. I know some of you wont grasp this concept, but to be able to add potentially the 2nd best offensive center in the game behind Shaq at such an early age could be a major steal for this franchise, especially if it only costs us Al.

Stat wise the Hawks might have been. However, you need

a rebounding presence if you want to win the title. I'd

guess almsot every team that has won the title the last

20+ years has had one.

Curry is overweight and lazy. Any team that gives him

a big contract WILL REGRET IT. He's one of the guys

that gets the big contract and sits on it. That is

my belief.