• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Michael Redd worth the MAX?

Admin

I dont think so. He is a great shooter and scorer, but he isnt a top notch defender, rebounder, or distributor. Surely a MAX player should be top notch at one of those in addition to being a great scorer or shooter. To me, guys like KG, TMac, Kobe, Lebron, etc. are MAX players and I cant see anyone in their right mind putting Redd in those guys class.

Its just a sad statement about how contracts have gotten out of hand when a guy who only does one thing very well can get the maximum amount of money allowed him.

I agree 100%. He isn't a MVP candidate type. Those are the only ones that are worth 12-15+ million to me. If we didn't have Childress I might rather spend that on him than 10+ on Dalembert. But no, I don't think he is worth the MAX. He is strictly a shooting guard which he does extremely well. Just don't think he is worth that to our team. I'd rather have Joe Johnson, Larry Hughes or Ray Allen.

Instead of the best talent available theory in drafting players we should use free agent money to spend on need. I don't really (and I suspect BK is with me) see a big need at the 2 spot. JChill, Diaw and Salim (if he shoots anywhere nearly as well on the NBA level) is a decent enough rotation at the 2 spot. I think the rumored talk about Johnson is b/c BK might use him at the 1 spot instead of at the 2. The rumored Allen talk is a smokescreen to send the signal that we have money to spend b/c Allen is not coming here.

I would be willing to spend near max dollars on Chandler or Dalembert b/c they would fill a huge need. Heck I thing I would make those max like offers very soon to the above players. The FA pgs are really too weak to spend alot of money on.

Quote:

I think the rumored talk about Johnson is b/c BK might use him at the 1 spot instead of at the 2. The rumored Allen talk is a smokescreen to send the signal that we have money to spend b/c Allen is not coming here.

In some cases, it's the player's agent who's floating the Hawks name in order to drive up the price of his player. I take it with a grain of salt that we're interested in any of these guys unless the word comes from the Hawks themselves.

in my opinion, i think only MVP-CANDIDATES are worthy of the MAX. that being said- i dont see the need for 30 MAX CONTRACT PLAYERS in this league. i think roughly 10 or so deserve the max.

i think Redd is a great 2nd option on a team. just think about REDD + GARNETT, or REDD + MCGRADY, or REDD + LEBRON. how sweet would that be?

he could also perform well in a place like DETROIT. i think he could easily fill in RIP HAMILTON's role.

that being said, i think he deserves a big pay raise- but not the max.