Now here is a great reason to sign Big Z

Admin

Quote:

"The Cavaliers might have an inside track on Jasikevicius for a few reasons: He wants to come to a team where he can start, and Snow is the Cavaliers' only point guard. He was the best man in Ilgauskas' wedding, and the two Lithuanians are close. That assumes Ilgauskas re-signs with the Cavaliers." Akron Beacon Journal

If signing Big Z meant that we could get Jasikevicius to sign here as a FA as well, we would fill our top 2 team needs very effectively. I wonder if the team has given that any thought.

I'd offer Big Z a 3-year deal but I wouldn't offer him the 5-6 year deal he is wanting. He just doesn't have that much game left. I'd do a 4-year deal with a team option for the 4th but I know he won't accept that. Maybe this is to take Cleveland out of the bidding on some other FA's? They seem to be after a lot of guys we are rumored to be after: Chandler, Curry, Dalembert, Joe Johnson, etc.

He fits what we want, a young potential star C who can grow with the team. While he isnt a great defender or rebounder, he can be taught to be better at both of those areas. He would be my 2nd choice behind Dally, but I would want to to a SnT for whichever we got so that we wouldnt have to be locked up for 15 days while their team made up their mind on them. I dont know if Philly would do it though, but maybe they would if they consider playing Al at SF or moving Webber (which very well could be).

Big Z would be my 3rd choice. He is 30, has major injury concerns from his past, doesnt run the floor all that well, and isnt a dominating rebounder for his size (less than 9 per). He is a good shotblocker and scores very well in the post, plus he is a top notch offensive rebounder as well.

As I've said, buyer beware with Curry. He's lazy and is just the type of player that will sit on his butt when he gets a big contract.

I still think it is pretty damn ridiculous for a guy who is nearly 7 feet tall and a starter to average a little over 5 rebounds per game.

Curry definitely isn't above Dalembert or Chandler as far as what I think would fit in on our team but he would: 1.) Cost a nice little bit less, probably and 2.) could be acquired in a S-and-T possibly. This way we'd be filling in a need w/o using much of any of our cap. If BK/Woody think they can mold this guy than I'm all for it. I think Brevin Knight is done with Charlotte since they want him to be a mentor there. We could offer him a chance to compete for the starting spot. Maybe a two-year deal?

Brevin Knight

Josh Childress

Josh Smith

Marvin Williams

Eddy Curry

That team will definitely have trouble scoring from the perimeter but it is good enough to compete and we didn't have to go out and spend all of our money. We can sign players to 1-2 year deals to fill in our roster.

getting him down here to a team and a city that would fully support him and surround him with 3 other young all-star potential players and you might very well see a different Eddy Curry. There is no doubt in my mind that he COULD be the best C in the league within the next 2-3 years if he really wanted to. He is already probably the 2nd most unstoppable C in the post behind Shaq in the entire league.

He definitely has some issues to be concerned with, but at the cost of unclogging our logjam at the 3-4 I am more than willing to do it.

Guest Walter

on Jasikevicius!

His "general direction this summer is the NBA" per his report. Unfortunately, like everyone else he wants to play for a contender. I think we would be such a team with his and Big Z'z help, especially if we don't have to trade away Harrington, but I can't see anyone else seeing that.

Imagine for a second, however...

Big Z/David Anderson

Harrington/Williams

Josh Smith/Diaw

Childress/Sarunas/Delk or Donta

Sarunas/Lue or Delk/Stoudamire

This is a team that could really have people on their heals. Good mix of athleticism, heart, shooting, and skill...and DEEP! Figure $11 million for Z, $6 for Sarunas, and $4 for Anderson.

W

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Maybe this is to take Cleveland out of the bidding on some other FA's? They seem to be after a lot of guys we are rumored to be after: Chandler, Curry, Dalembert, Joe Johnson, etc.

I think this is what the Hawks might be doing.

Atlanta wants Cleveland to focus on re-signing Big Z, so that the bidding war for Dalembert/Chandler doesn't become ridiculous.

Or I could be totally wrong.

If the reports are true, I am proud of Billy Knight..This would be the 1st time he has made a move to immediately improve the Hawks rather than long range improvement..If we could get Z, we really are only a point guard away from finally being a respectable team with alot of room to grow into a very good team. Z is a center that does not need to dominate the paint to be effective offensively.. Smoove , Marvin, and even Chillz are players that are primarily slashers at this point..They don't need a Mutombo style center hanging around the basket clogging the middle..I am afarid that is what Dalembert or Chandler would be. Z gives you a perfect kickout option if you are a slasher..He is solid defensively and rebounds enough. He would be a huge upgrade that actually points to a team attempting to win games, which I think is important to other free agents..If Z gave us an upper hand to get Sarunas that would be an incredible job by Billy Knight..By all reports Sarunas is a very similar player to Steve Nash..I would love to see that kind of point with our young stars..The only question is how would Woody coach a team that is primarily run and gun?..

• Premium Member

Would he improve the Hawks? Yes.

Would he improve them enough to get to the playoffs this year? No.

Would he significantly improve the chances of getting a championship in the next three years? No.

Would his contract be a burden for at least the final two years? Yes.

Would he be injured a significant number of games over the next five years? Yes.

QUICK FIX.

--- --- ---

IMO, the Hawks need to eliminate competition for the other centers available. It improves the chance of working out a S&T.

Guest Walter

would depend upon alot, a quality Pg (Jaric, Sarunas?), Z's health, quick development of our existing young studs, but it does allow us to play more than one-style of basketball (see playoffs), recruit another FA, and it provides us with at least one starting player we don't have to develop. If we sign any of the center prospects, restricted or unrestricted, we have yet one more player to develop. It may or may not ever happen for that player, particularly when surrounded by 4 other developing players.

I guess I believe that due to Z's good health the last 3-4 years, his style of play not depending upon athleticism allowing him a longer career at least through a 5 year contract, his role as a foreign player ambassador, FA recruiter, veteran leadership, the positional challenge of finding a center, etc., and his skill set allowing for a varied style of play more suited for playoff basketball, I'm all for it.

W