• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

KB21 and his thoughts on BK

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I have read comments by several on this board for a while. I do not post a lot just mostly read.

I understand what KB is trying to say about BK in regards to building this team long-term.

The problem I see with the Hawks is cash. They have to balance rebuidling this team the way BK wants to versus putting fans in the seats and making money. Now, diehard fans while very minute in size will be willing to an extent to let the team lose and build over time, while the not so diehard will just quit coming to the games.

How long will the fans support a losing team. Well, if it is exciting and I think with Marvin and Josh it could be exciting, it could work until the pieces are brought in over the next three years. BUT if the team doesn't compete on a high energy level and be entertaining attendance will fall even more and there will be serious problems.

Players like Marbury, Big Z just don't fit this team. 95% of the free agents will not play in Atlanta under the current conditions, the option is SNT deals. I would not sign Stromile Swift, he has been mentioned a lot. What has he done? He couldn't even start on a rebounding hungry team, even Memphis wants to rid themselves of him. Haslem, just no talent, if Shaq wasn't around he would have no numbers, yes he hustles but he is a fringe player.

The Hawks need size in the 6-10 to 7-0 level. Who that player is varies, but I have not seen anyone out there at this point I would take a stab at. The closest player I have seen to be the bruiser we need is Jamaal Magloire.

Hopefully we can find a way to get Jamaal to anchor the middle while the young guys get on the job training.

Vol4ever brings up a good point, in that building for long term is a patience game. What if the ownership demands to make a splash this offseason for the sake of public interest and ticket sales? Perhaps the Marbury move is out there as a last resort if we cannot sign a big name that fits what we're doing.

Marbury, if nothing else, would bring fans out. Also, I don't see how he would not make this team better. Granted he has not taken teams deep in the playoffs, but he could make a 13 win team significantly better.

Really I'm just trying to make sense of the Marbury speculation, but I don't expect the deal to go down. If it does, it could be looked at as a desperation move.

Well, if you want some excitement while waiting the the team to jell - then we ought to consider trying to get Nate Robinson. He's not a great PG, but he IS filled with energy and is exciting to watch. He might give Smoove a run for the dunk contest. - Maybe the Knicks would take Diaw for him?

But we still need a top PG, so I am hoping for Jay Williams or Joe Johnson.

yeti

Quote:

Marbury, if nothing else, would bring fans out. Also, I don't see how he would not make this team better. Granted he has not taken teams deep in the playoffs, but he could make a 13 win team significantly better.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he wouldn't make us ALOT better immediately. He would. We would probably go from 13 to 30+ wins. But the question is does it help us contend in the long run? He doesn't really make his teammates better and I can't see him spearheading a championship team. More importantly (to me), he significantly worsens our top pick next year.

Maybe he takes us from say a #2 overall pick to a #8 pick (just guessing numbers here). That's a big deal. If we're ready to sign someone who is a true impact player and make us start winning many games, it needs to be someone we plan on keeping as a part of our core for contention. I'm just not sure that Stephon fits that.

I'm fine with one more year of losing because I think that Chill-Marvin-Smoove +top3 pick +another 1st rounder will be enough to attract real free agents, no matter how many games we win this year. If we can pick up a FA now who will stay as a part of our core and makes sense, I'm all for it. I could see Chandler, Kwame, Dalembert. But I don't want to get a big name just for the sake of winning 10 more games next year if he doesn't fit in our long term future and will hurt our cap

You're right that he would definitely fill some seats though, and reassure those fans who don't really understand long term re-building plans

To play a little devil's advocate I would say how many years of 13 win seasons can the Hawk's franchise economically sustain?

Also, since everyone thinks Marvin, Chill, and Smoove are gonna get $10 million dollar contracts, how could you afford another top 3 pick to have to pay down the road?

Quote:

To play a little devil's advocate I would say how many years of 13 win seasons can the Hawk's franchise economically sustain?

Also, since everyone thinks Marvin, Chill, and Smoove are gonna get $10 million dollar contracts, how could you afford another top 3 pick to have to pay down the road?

Same way the Bulls have done it.

In my mind it's 2 years of more or less intentional sucking. Last year and this coming year. The previous 5 were not intentional, they were a result of Kasten + Babcock. I think that ticket sales will be pretty decent this year even if we lose alot. We will be one of the most fun teams in the league to watch with chill-smoove-marvin. Heck I bought season tickets for the first time in my life and I'm broke. Besides, our low attendance is offset by our tiny payroll.

As far as salaries down the road, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that 2 top 3 picks don't kill a franchise that is otherwise financially savvy. Young players are still cheaper than veterans. Chill,Marvin,Smith+2 first rounders would not be THAT bad, and would account for nearly half our roster. That's why I don't want Marbury's huge contract that will hinder us re-signing some of them. I'm pretty sure that the difference in price between a #2 and a #8 pick is much smaller than Marbury's salary. So from a salary stand point, not getting him makes more sense.

Quote:

Final Quest has made great points here. This franchise can no longer afford losing seasons and next year if we get a top three pick there will come a time where to have to keep and afford Chillz, Marv and Smoove and I dont think the HFO will have that kind of money to throw that money around.

Last year we got killed in three areas.

Interior Defense

3pt shooting (Hello Salim)

FT shooting (add Marvin's 80+%)

Spending on one of the decent 5s available will complete the Hawks improving in all these areas. I say if we sign one of the good centers, we win 25.

Ticket sales will be better, maybe much better by the second half of the season.

It's a step by step process. It won't happen all at once, but I believe in the Hawks for the following reasons.

I believe BK does have a plan.

I believe BK is a good judge of talent.

I like that the Hawks right now have NO big uglee contracts around their necks.

I like that the Hawks have the best nucleus of young talent in years and years.

There's a long way to go, but I think the Hawks can put a product on the floor that will get a better share of Ws, and be fun to watch. From where they came from, that's a good start.

Quote:

that would be a steal. Can't imagine NO doing it though

Mags wants out of NO. He prefers Toronto, but ATL would do if a contract extension is dangled.

This is the transaction that I want to see. We get a quality Center this year. Next season, we will know better whether Salim can run the point for us. If Salim can't cut it, we can draft a PG next year...there are a couple of good ones in that draft.

Quote:

Casual fans in Atlanta have no idea who Nate Robinson from University of Washington is.

Marbury who has been an all star and played for GT, people know who he is. From a business perspective Marbury brings more attention than Nate Robinson.

Short term knee jerk reaction. Atlanta still doesn't

support bad teams and they won't stay long term because

Marbury is here. You probably overrate just how many

fans he would bring in. How many fans did Dion Glover

bring?

C'mon dude, how can you compare Dion Glover to Marbury?

Not the same ballpark. Marbury does not suck that bad.

This is ridiculous everyone is ready to hand out $10 million dollar contracts to our young players who have averaged 10 points a game, but Marbury sucks. I don't get it.

I'm not sure I want Marbury on the team either, but let's not compare him to Dion Glover or Duane Ferrell.

• Moderators

Marbury is not a winner and probably caps his team's ability because he dominates the ball and plays bad defense. However, he is nowhere near the same level as Dion Glover or somebody like that. Marbury is very talented and he is always going to end up with incredible numbers. I just think he is a better fantasy player than a leader for a team.

Quote:

C'mon dude, how can you compare Dion Glover to Marbury?

Not the same ballpark. Marbury does not suck that bad.

This is ridiculous everyone is ready to hand out $10 million dollar contracts to our young players who have averaged 10 points a game, but Marbury sucks. I don't get it.

I'm not sure I want Marbury on the team either, but let's not compare him to Dion Glover or Duane Ferrell.

They have more than one thing in common... Neither have

much success in the NBA with winning. I understand your

point, but fans aren't going to come out in high numbers

just because he played at college. F*ck alot of the people

in Atlanta aren't even from Atlanta.

It's a theory that I think people overblow.