• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Suns say they will match our offer to Johnson

Admin

I also think that Phoenix cannot afford to lose JJ. Especially since they just gave up Q. They wouldn't have anyone left (outside of Nash) that can consistantly knock down the outside shot. Jim Jackson & Marion are decent, but nowhere near Johnson or Q. If they do match our offer, I'd look for them to try to trade Marion to free up some cap room. His salary gets ridiculous in the coming years. They may even do an intentional salary dump by trading for someone like Tim Thomas or Penny Hardaway. (both of their contracts expire after the 05-06 season) If they don't match our offer, a Marion for Eddie Jones trade would make some sense, especially if Miami loses Haslem to Cleveland.

Once again, it's the length he brings to the position. He's a 6'8" player that has the skills to play the point guard position. He will be able to do a lot of what Penny Hardaway did as a young player in Orlando.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I also think that Phoenix cannot afford to lose JJ. Especially since they just gave up Q.

Well, Raja Bell basically replaces Q, but I agree they can't afford to lose JJ and still be a contender.

Quote:

If they do match our offer, I'd look for them to try to trade Marion to free up some cap room. His salary gets ridiculous in the coming years.

But if they intend on trading Marion, what's the point in trying to be a contender?

If JJ signs the Hawks' offer sheet, then the Suns are in a tough spot.

IMO, they really only have two choices:

1. Match, pay the luxury tax, and hope for a title.

2. Try to get a S&T trade done before he signs.

If it were up to me, I would do #2 because I don't think they're going to beat the Spurs, Pistons, or Heat anytime soon.

I wasn't even thinking about Bell, that's a good point. I don't think he's quite the scorer Q is, but he should thrive playing next to Nash. Losing JJ doesn't won't hurt as much as I originally thought, but the loss would still be very significant because Barbosa isn't ready to take over the back-up duties.

As for Marion, they just signed Kurt Thomas who will gobble up alot of the rebounds Marion did. Marion is more of a transition scorer rather than a half court guy. He can hit the occasional spot up jumper and he plays good defense, but he's not really a go to scorer. I feel that a combination of role players could feel in for Marion. If they do trade for him, they will get some value in return to cover his production.

• Premium Member

I've about decided that 82games.com is worthless. As much of the Suns as we all got to watch on ESPN/TNT, I know for a fact that JJ got to play some point when Nash was resting/injured.

Barbosa guarded the small guards, but he didn't really set the offense.

yeah I agree. Everyone who follows the suns knows he played a decent amount of PG this season. Not 50% or anything, but not nearly as low a 1%. As I've asked before, how does 82games claim to know what positions they played for whatever amount of time? Do they scrutinize every game tape and see who's guarding the other team's PG? Who's bringing the ball up? Just go by best guess on the 5 on the floor at any time, by height? Who knows and they won't tell you. In my experience it's a pretty worthless site that gives you stats that are too specific to have real significance.