• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Critics have started YAPPING, MWill got to

Diesel

• Premium Member

Marvin Williams the Most Overrated Player in the Draft

By Chris Vining, Section NBA

Posted on Mon Jul 04, 2005 at 07:42:01 PM EST

With the #2 pick in the NBA Draft, The Atlanta Hawks select, Marvin Williams forward from the University of North Carolina. A massive draft mistake, Williams proved in one year of college that he had potential. Potential is the killer of many young athletes, forcing teenagers to try to live up to the hype. Williams may have talent but he may be one of the most overrated players to hit the NBA in since Shawn Bradley.

Marvin Williams is being touted as the next NBA superstar. The small forward from North Carolina was a leader for the NCAA Champion Tarheels as a freshmen, a year after he almost entered the NBA Draft. Williams has the size, speed, and raw skills to be a major star at the next level. He may have first team All-Rookie written on his resume at this time next year, maybe even a Rookie of the Year Trophy on his mantle. Williams seems like the perfect draft pick for any team who is lucky enough to draft him. Don't believe the hype; Williams will be more journeyman than Jordan.

Marvin Williams is a poor man's Dominique Wilkins, but lacks that something special. Watching Williams play can be truly frustrating, a player with virtually unlimited potential who just can't perform at a consistent level. Is he the twenty point fifteen rebound dynamo that he displayed against Iowa State in the NCAA tournament? Is he the player who virtually disappeared in two Final Four games, scoring only ten points combined and committing more turnovers than assists and blocks combined? At age 19, and with only one year of college basketball experience, it may be too soon to tell. One thing is clear about Marvin Williams, he performs at his best against weak opponents, and is shut down when he is in the limelight.

North Carolina played some of the best teams in college basketball in 2004-2005, facing off against Duke, Indiana, UConn, Illinois, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Maryland and Georgia Tech. In thirteen games against top college teams Williams didn't display a game that would put him among the NCAA's elite players. He averaged 8.4 points, 6.3 rebounds, less than one assist per game, and only shot 40 percent from the field. His best games came against Oakland, Iowa State, Loyola-Chicago, North Carolina State, Cleveland State, and William and Mary. In the NBA there are no easy games on the schedule, no fluff teams to blow out.

Williams joins one of the worst teams in the NBA, the Atlanta Hawks. This works against Williams on two levels. Williams needs a team with established players that would allow him to learn from more experienced teammates, players who could take the pressure off his shoulders. The Hawks are a team with a young nucleus and few veteran players. The other issue is that the Hawks have a roster stacked with young players that he will have to battle for playing time. While competition can bring out the best in athletes, Williams needs playing time to get accustomed to the pace and physicality of the NBA. Williams is a young man who is about to embark on an overwhelming challenge. If he had more experience as a player he would be much better equipped to deal with the pressure that will become a way of life as his career progresses.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there u have it. the motivational source. josh smith had jay bilas, and now Marvin Williams has found his source.

print this out, tape it on ur mirror MARVIN WILLIAMS!

----------------------------------------------

If Billy Knight picked this kid over much needed Paul/DWilliams, then there must be a reason WHY!

ill give him the benefit of the doubt

• Premium Member

Jay Bilas had much less to critique Smoove by. Smoove was truly a shot in the dark as far as critiqueing goes.. I don't accept Bilas' commentation, however, I understand his uncertainty..

However, this writer makes a good point about MWill.. Against the good competition, where was he??? With our lack of vet leadership, how will he improve.. Lastly, when Smoove and Al realize that they are all neck and neck... Can MWill step it up and take the spot or will he do like he has always done and take the back seat???

I think we should have gotten PAUL or DWilliams.

The author listed 6 teams that I guess he assumed were "cupcake" ..I don't think NC State belongs in that list. North Carolina played over 30 games last year, right?

I think MWill performed better than the author would admit in the 10+ games he didn't elaborate on...

He took stats out of context just to print something imo...

is this guy related to you Diesel? lol

Anyway, I agree that this can be an inspirational source for Marvin Williams. I am still a believer in him and I think he will do well his rookie year. Maybe not win the rookie of the year outright but possibly be runnerup.

• Premium Member

Less credentials than Jay Bilas, yet to hear this guy, 98% of all NBA execs were either completely clueless, or they all conspired against BK to fool him into picking MWill.

C'mon, Diesel.

This is about as meaningful to me as a Lascar diatribe about David Stern's innocence and goodness. wink.gif

• Premium Member

I don't have to attack the source. I just look at the facts he puts out. Look at MWill by the facts..

He hasn't shown up against Big teams.

It's his nature to be less competitive..

Some have even referred to him as a PUNK off the court and a "Beast" on it...

However, the numbers show that he was only Beastly against the Oaklands and Iowa States...

What did he do versus the better competition??

Does it matter who's writing it?

I mean, I think we'd attack the writer reguardless of who it was.

If it were David Aldridge or Mike Wilbun or Kornheiser would t make a difference??

I think you'd still find a problem with what it says.

I say... look at the content first. This guy is not just spewing unfounded opinion.. He has something to back it up with...

• Premium Member

Rex Chapman was hired as GM of the Timberwolves after President, Director of Player Personnel, Coach, GM, ballboy, organ player, and valet Kevin Mchale was given a great recommendation by Danny Ainge. Chapman then released Kevin Garnett, traded the next 3 first round picks to Utah for Mark Eaton, and signed Oliver Miller to a maximum contract extension.

The Hawks signed Garnett then traded him back to Minnesota for Qwertyuiop Asdfhghjkl, a prospect from Europe the Wolves had previously drafted. Chapman called this move a steal at a press conference. It took the Hawks almost an hour to realize that there is no such player; the name is just the top two lines of the keyboard. Atlanta ownership complained to David Stern but he was too busy laughing and negotiating with MC Hammer to the rights to wear his pants at the draft.

Quote:

Right. Who is Chris Vining and I don't care what he has to say. He will be another band wagon fan when the Hawks become a major force in the NBA....

Chris Vining is a nobody. However, he wants to be a somebody, so make some outrageous critiques of a team that is down in the dumps. That way, if you are wrong, few people notice. If you are right, you are an instant genius.

Ignore the idiot. We have a winner in Marvin.

• Admin

I think he's just echoing the same points, albeit with a less fan oriented perspective, that some of us said earlier. Marvin is coming to a team that he will have to step up and be the man, or he will get left behind. He has shown time and time again that he's willing to take a back seat. It's a very valid point that he makes. Maybe not the one we want to read, but its' very valid.

How do you figure Marvin has to come in and be the man?....I thought we drafted him for his talent and potential....I think it is fans who think he has to be the man...not coach or management? Yes eventually we expect him to develop into a leader of this team...but to expect that right away is just not realistic.

• Admin

the facts. Nobody said "he has to be the man". But as a #2 draft pick on a BAD team with NO ESTABLISHED STARS, you would expect him, hell, DEMAND him to at least step up and show some of those characteristics.

His personality is a clear window into the kind of guy he is. he has shown numerous times that he is content to take a back seat. It's really impossible to say just how deep that goes. But to simply say "he's going to be a superstar" when he has all too often shown an inclination to take a back seat and not step up, as being a superstar DEMANDS, you have to be realistic about it.

Quote:

I don't have to attack the source. I just look at the facts he puts out. Look at MWill by the facts..

He hasn't shown up against Big teams.

It's his nature to be less competitive..

Some have even referred to him as a PUNK off the court and a "Beast" on it...

However, the numbers show that he was only Beastly against the Oaklands and Iowa States...

What did he do versus the better competition??

Does it matter who's writing it?

I mean, I think we'd attack the writer reguardless of who it was.

If it were David Aldridge or Mike Wilbun or Kornheiser would t make a difference??

I think you'd still find a problem with what it says.

I say... look at the content first. This guy is not just spewing unfounded opinion.. He has something to back it up with...

Have you and Mr. Vining forgotten that Marvin didn't start for his college team? Your analysis might hold water if you were talking about a player who was supposed to be the go-to guy on his team but failed to "show up". Yet, despite averaging only 22 mpg, he scored in double digits in most games and averaged over 6 rpg for the season--in the toughest conference in the country, no less. If you actually look at his lines from the season, keeping in mind his relatively limited minutes, you should have a greater appreciation for what he accomplished. Plus he was clutch down the stretch in the title game and hit an impossible game-winner against Duke.

And your other points are just silly. Where do you get that "it's his nature to be less competitive"? From his stats? Again, view them in context.

And if he's a punk, you'd never know it from reading about him. One of the major storylines about Marvin has always been how humble and selfless he is. Here's just one example:

Link

• Admin

Quote:

Where do you get that "it's his nature to be less competitive"?

You tough one one of those examples yourself, with your comments about him being humble and selfless. Now, don't get me wrong. Being humble and selfless are great qualities. But you will find VERY FEW superstars that exhibit those qualities in as many facets as Marvin does.

He was CONTENT to come off the bench, despite knowing he was better than the guys he would be playing behind.

He doesn't watch the NBA. You'd think a guy that was hungry to prove himself as one of the best in the game, one of the best ever, would at least watch the game that contained the players he would be competing against.

He took himself out of a highschool game so that a low-talent player could get some playing time and his team lost. BUt he was happy because this kid got to play. Yah that's nice and all. But sorry, that IS NOT a superstar mentality. Superstars want to WIN. Superstars are consistantly the most competitive people in their given sports.

You cannot argue with any honesty that it is not worthy of debate. He has shown qualities that would make any open minded person honestly question whether or not he is competitive enough to really become a superstar.

again, don't shoot me for saying it. I'm being open minded here. I believe he will prove anyone who questions him wrong. But it would be dishonest of me to not recognize the possibilty that his shortcoming might be his lack of competitiveness.

It is the old kock against Tim Duncan argument...u have to be an ass to be a superstar...had he whined about not starting at Carolina...people would be dogging him...however he sucked it up ....gave way to HIS COACH and came off the bench behind established upper classmen.....that is more of an example of a competitor and a guy who cares more about winning than the guy who comes in a tears away at the chemistry of the team because he wants to carry it...as a freshman.

When you equate his situation to not being a competitor it is totally idiotic...because he was touted by his own teammnates as being the hardest worker and the most competitive.

He was not content on the bench...he would have rather started but it was deemed by Roy to not be the best for the team if he started...nothing to do with talent....he accepted that like a man...not many 18 year olds with his talent and accolades would have done that...that is what makes him special.

Just tired of the nice guy ...not a competitor BS...especially when he has yet to play 30 minutes in a game.

We will see.