• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Critics have started YAPPING, MWill got to

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

YOU can't point to one Big game at UNC where he stepped up. You can point to the Oakland game and see that he stepped up.. But against Good teams, he didn't even keep his average (most of the time)...

Slow down and think before you write, D. You're just too possessed to "be right," and intent to win an argument... and paradoxically (my word of the day), it's keeping you from doing anything of the sort.

1) Did MWill start? No. Do starters get more or less minutes in big games? More. So, how many minutes did MWill average in those big games... what were his stats-per-minute (NOT his game stats) like?

2) Did MWill play MORE minutes against lesser teams? Without looking, I'd guess, "yes." What did that do to his averages? Pushed them up. So, how likely is it that his averages overall, then, are going to be reached against the better teams when that overall is being pushed upwards by his stats against the lesser opponents? Not very.

Quote:

ADD that with all these other reports about him not watching pro ball and him giving up his spot, losing the game, so that another kid can play..

OH yes, that's heart warming.. BUt REAL superstars have a competitive drive.

See above... as romantic as you (too) attempt to make it, it's not competitive drive. There is no shortage of competitive drive in the NBA. How anyone can say differently is just beyond reason.

Quote:

About Manu...

Yeah, he played on the bench...

But check him out in this years finals.. When Tim was doing his disappearing acts, Manu took over.

Monday morning quarterbacking at its best, D.

You didn't know that about Manu at the time, though, now did you... and neither do you know about MWill... but you want very badly to "be right," so you're willing to make this conjecture and see if it sticks.

Well, just know that like the younger players that preceeded him, you're going to be conjecturing this same yada for 3-4 years... it will take him time, but I'm inclined to believe he'll reach superstar status when he reaches JChill's age.

And at least I can be heartened that about 9 out of 10 NBA execs and writers have a similar inclination.

You, otoh, just want to win an argument (... very Lascar-ish of you, if you don't mind my saying so shocked.gif...), so enjoy these next 3-4 years as much as you can.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

1) Did MWill start? No. Do starters get more or less minutes in big games? More. So, how many minutes did MWill average in those big games... what were his stats-per-minute (NOT his game stats) like?

I'll look up his stats per when I get some real time...

However, IF MWill was So much better than the guy he played behind...

Then in the big games, he would have played More...

In the big games, you go with your best players and not neccessarily your starters..

For Instance...

In the big game, down the stretch, who do you expect to be in the game for Memphis, J-Will or E. Watson??

Sure J-Will makes a gang of money and he has to start because of how much he makes.. But if the coach wants to win, J-Will is on the bench and Earl is running the show!

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'll look up his stats per when I get some real time...

Good enough... candidly, I just don't care enough to.

Quote:

However, IF MWill was So much better than the guy he played behind...

Then in the big games, he would have played More...

In the big games, you go with your best players and not neccessarily your starters...

For Instance...

In the big game, down the stretch, who do you expect to be in the game for Memphis, J-Will or E. Watson??

Sure J-Will makes a gang of money and he has to start because of how much he makes.. But if the coach wants to win, J-Will is on the bench and Earl is running the show!

In a big game, I figure that starters will accumulate more minutes... practically by definition.

In a big game, I also figure that starters will usually get the "down the stretch" minutes... because they are ordinarily more seasoned and able to handle the stress of that.

So, I don't disparage MWill on the former... and in fact, I have to give him credit on the latter, as it appears that coach thought highly enough of him to put him in during the most critical part of the most critical game.

But at the end of the day, we have to face facts... it is just very hard to analyze because it is so rare that a lottery-talent freshman has played behind a somewhere-in-the-draft senior.

I'm pretty sure that it has never happened before, ever.

So, we're left to wait and see if the consensus is right about MWill... until then, the negativity isn't helping anyone get where we're all trying to go.

If you are the coach that may be true....but Roy had a plan and he stuck to it..Marvin played basically the same time against all opponents good or bad.....he played basically the same minutes when he got off to a good start or didn't. ....he avg. 22 minutes a game....his high for the season was only 29 minutes....this was so obvious that later in the season some of the team...commented that they thought Roy was trying to hide Marvin...they may have been joking.... but I believe there was some truth to it.

• 11 months later...