• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's talk about the facts...

Diesel

• Premium Member

North Carolina played some of the best teams in college basketball in 2004-2005, facing off against Duke, Indiana, UConn, Illinois, Wake Forest, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Maryland and Georgia Tech. In thirteen games against top college teams Williams didn't display a game that would put him among the NCAA's elite players. He averaged 8.4 points, 6.3 rebounds, less than one assist per game, and only shot 40 percent from the field. His best games came against Oakland, Iowa State, Loyola-Chicago, North Carolina State, Cleveland State, and William and Mary. In the NBA there are no easy games on the schedule, no fluff teams to blow out.

Unless you saw those games you really don't have any facts....the writer actually writes as if Marvin started those games and played the majority of the minutes and was shut down...actually he avg. almost 9 points and 6 rebounds off of the bench....how many minutes did he play in those games.....let's get down to the facts...until we see Marvin play 30 plus mintes consistently you can't call him overrated or underrated just yet.

• Moderators

Let's talk facts. Marvin Williams averaged more points per minute than any freshman in North Carolina history, and there have been some pretty good ones.

Marvin's coach and his teammates (including the 3 other lottery picks) say he is the best one of the bunch.

Exactly...this dude was basically getting about 20 minutes a game...taking about 4-8 shots a game...without forcing his offense...and averaging double digits and rebounding very well...I think I recall him taking 3 shots one game and scoring 14 points.

The talk around the barber shop from the team was they felt Roy was really trying to limit Marvin or kinda hide him....

we will see.

Quote:

The fact is that Marvin is a promising young talent and some of them grow into Kevin Garnetts and some grow into Kwame Browns. We'll have to wait and see.

Agreed. Way to early for people to get their panties in a twist, as there is no guarantee Marvin turns into either a stud or a dud.

12/4 vs Kentucky - 18 minutes, 2 of 5 FG, 1 of 1 3P, 5 points, 4 rebounds

1/8 vs Maryland - 22 minutes, 4 of 7 FG, 1 of 2 3P, 12 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists

1/12 vs Georgia Tech. - 23 minutes, 3 of 7 FG, 1 of 2 3P, 14 points, 6 rebounds

1/15 vs Wake Forest - 21 minutes, 4 of 6 FG, 1 of 2 3P, 15 points, 7 rebounds

2/9 vs Duke - 25 minutes, 5 of 8 FG, 12 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist

2/13 vs Connecticut - 23 minutes, 4 of 9 FG, 8 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist

2/22 vs NC State - 20 minutes, 2 of 3 FG, 0-1 3P, 14 points, 2 rebounds

2/27 vs Maryland - 19 minutes, 1 of 3 FG, 0-1 3P, 5 points, 5 rebounds

3/6 vs Duke - 26 minutes, 3 of 9 FG, 0-1 3P, 9 points, 7 rebounds

3/12 vs Georgia Tech. - 19 minutes, 0-3 FG, 9 points, 5 rebounds

I don't know where this guy got his numbers, but they are wrong.

• Premium Member

That in the BIG GAMES, Marvin was not good enough to merit enough time on the floor to do better than 9/6.

You mean to tell me that in the BIG GAMES, Roy was willing to go with Jawad Williams over Marvin.

I understand the idea of letting your seniors start.. But in the BIG GAMES.. don't you want your best players on the floor?

So you mean to tell me that Marvin Williams is supposed to be the top prospect in the draft YET.. He couldn't outplay a guy that didn't even get Drafted for floor time in the BIG GAMES??

BTW, why has nobody said anything about the 40% shooting??

I've noticed that Good teams know how to stop the fast break... When they do, shooting percentages go down... Especially Marvin's...

What did we get??

Do you not read, not listen, or are you just incapable of doing both?

I just shot your phoney baloney supposition to hell and back, and this is all you can come up with?

Tell me something, if Marvin Williams isn't any good, why was he finishing the games instead of Jawad Williams? Why was he in the game to get the game winning tip against Illinois and Duke? Why do all of his teammates say that Marvin was easily the best player on the team?

Yet, your boy Chris Paul is getting lit up by the likes of Gerald Fitch in summer league play, showing that his liabilities defensively are very apparent.

• Premium Member

Let's first start with their loss to Santa Clara...

M. Williams, F 21minutes 3-8 FG 1-2 Ft 6 rebs 1 assis 7pts

Indiana...

M. Williams, F 22minutes 2-7FG 0-0 FT 12rebs 1assist 4pts

Now.. I thought it would be interesting to look at Jawad's numbers in the same games...

Santa Clara...

Williams, F 25minutes 4-11 FG 2-2 FT 1reb 1asisst 11pts

Indiana

J. Williams, F 33mins 4-8FG 4-4FT 6reb 0asst 13pts

Kentucky

J. Williams, F 28Min 6-9FG 7-8FT 7reb 1ass 19pts

Maryland

J. Williams, F 23 4-9 4-4 7rebs 2ass 13pts

GTech

J. Williams, F 26Min 6-10FG 5-6FT 3reb 2ass 18pts

I gotta go right now... But you get the picture.

Jawad Williams who went undrafted showed up Bigger in BIG GAMES than MWilliams did...

Why?

My point..

MWill has to step up!

• Premium Member

Follow my line.

Jawad Williams showed up bigger in Big games that MWill.

Until he shows otherwise, he's just Little game Marvin. It's embarrassing that he can't take time from a guy who went undrafted.

It's embarrassing that he was is comparable to a guy that went undrafted.. and that guy is better in big games..

Check out the MSU game. I saw that one and the Ill game... MWill disappeared...

did you see those games KB?

If he's such a Superstar where is he at the crunch time of the big games?? Watching Sean May take the game over??

That's no superstar!

Marvin played basically the same number of minutes in so called BIG GAMES as he did against everybody else...so I would call that a coach being consistent...and yes he did finish a lot of games....that should tell u something. When he takes more than 8 shots in a game...talk to me about shooting percentage....when plays are ran for him ....talk to me about shooting percentage....Marvin scraped and fought for damn near everthing he scored.....watch some games. a lot of games he took 4 shots...6 shots ......3 shots..........the point is judging him entirely on his college career is useless and so was that article.

I guess you expected him to say to hell with coach Roy gimme the ball....I am taking over...it does not work like that at Carolina when u r a freshman with 5 upper classmen in front of you who have paid their dues.....the fact is with May Felton Mcants and Jawad dominating the bulk of the play calls...Marvin being an 18 year old freshman coming off the bench ....he could only do so much.....but damn that.... gimme the rock and move out the way....because this is a big game....lol

Diesel, what are you doing man??? Give it a rest dude. Marvin is on OUR team. Marvin is now an Atlanta Hawk for a long LONG time. The draft is not next week. What is the point of trying to discredit Marvin and his accolades in college? What's the point..he is on the home team now!!

What are you looking to prove? Again the draft is over!! Get over it and get with the program!! You are wasting your breathe. There are no more draft decisions that need to be made this year. Deron is on another team. Paul is on another team and that will not change.

The only thing you should be trying to debate is about Free Agency not Marvin. It is time to move on!!

• Premium Member

Did you just complain about Marvin's performance in his first collegiate game in limited minutes without the team's leader at PG?

You're really stretching here, Diesel.

Learn a lesson from Walt and at least what until the All-Star game before you start crooning out the criticism.

It's only going to bite you in the long-run.

you guys dont watch carolina basketball enough. No he didnt put up spectacular numbers those games but they were decent. He was not the 1st option for the Heels and thats the main reason why. When it came down to a shot it would be for felton may or mccants.

Quote:

What are you looking to prove? Again the draft is over!! Get over it and get with the program!! You are wasting your breath

That's what I was wondering. Not only is this wrong, why would you try to debate to try to convince what few hawks' fans we have that the new guy on our team, recognized by most as the best talent in the draft, is a bum? What is the point here?

Clearly you don't understand that the reason Marvin didn't start was not because of talent. We get it. He came off the bench. We get it. What we seem to recognize and you don't is the unique skillset he brings to the game. There's a reason players aren't drafted based on stats alone, and that's a lesson Marvin is about to teach you.