• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thought about Marbury and his contract

Admin

(Assume we trade for Marbury, plus sign Johnson and Curry)

Does anyone else think that with Marbury coming back to Georgia, coming to play for a big time up and coming young squad, and maybe looking at one more nice contract that he might be willing to re-work his deal in 2,3 years?

I think that he probably doesnt want to keep bouncing around the league and that he would like to try and make a name for himself here as the guy who helped turn the franchise around and put butts in the seats. In 2-3 years his contract will still have a ton of annual salary on it, but I think he might be willing to sign for half of that if we extended him another 4 years so that he can have some consistency in his life, assuming we are winning with him of course.

Anyone else think he might be willing to do something like this so that we will have the dollars remaining to sign our young kids?

• Moderators

If you are asking whether I think it is likely that Marbury will think about the benefit of the team over his personal benefit, then I would say that I think it is very unlikely that Marbury will sacrifice for his team down the line. The guy has a major ego and is unlikely, IMO, to want to give up $$ to help sign younger players.

it depends on how tired he gets of losing. He has a chance to go down as one of the greatest PGs to ever play the game if he can actually help a team win a championship because of what he can do statistically. I just think with the motivation of playing back in Georgia and with being the veteran leader of a young star squad he might think about it. Not to mention, if we extend him when he is a year or two out, he might get more in the long run of the contract than if he waits till the end and tries to sign a new deal with someone else since he wont be a spring chicken anymore.

With one year and $21 million left on his contract, he can do exactly what Shaq is doing, which is to opt out and extend him to a new 5-6 year deal where we pay him about $10-12 million per year. It saves us a good bit that year and gives him a guarantee for the future.

• Premium Member

I don't think Marbury is a pure point from the standpoint of running a team. He is a short, good handles scorer. Looks like salim is gonna score the ball so we don't need Marbury and his huge contract.