• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

MWill plays, Wright leaves Hawks training camp....

flava

Notes: Curry to meet with Hawks

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/13/05

The Eddy Curry sweepstakes will officially heat up Thursday when the restricted free-agent center comes to town for a visit with the Hawks.

During a public appearance in Chicago on Wednesday, Curry refused to speak local reporters about his contract negotiations with the Bulls or any other suitors. When asked about his trip to Atlanta, Curry shot back "What trip?"

Curry is scheduled to arrive in town before noon and stay through Friday night, when he'll be one of the featured celebrities at the reopening of Vision Nightclub and Lounge and take in the Destiny's Child concert at Philips Arena.

Rookie leaders

The Hawks will have at least seven players on the summer league roster that are expected be on the regular-season roster in November.

That's why Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew, who will coach the team in Salt Lake City Friday through July 22, has placed a huge responsibility on returnees Boris Diaw, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Royal Ivey and Donta Smith.

"I put the onus on those guys every time we walk out on the floor," Drew said after Wednesday's workout. "Not only during summer league but during workouts and everything else. They're no longer rookies. They've got to set the tone and the example for the new guys that are here."

The coaching staff was new last year as well, forcing the preparations for last summer's trip to the Rocky Mountain Revue to be rushed a bit.

That won't be a problem this time around. And the difference, Drew said, is noticeable.

"When we came in last year as a staff we were not totally familiar with what [Hawks coach Mike Woodson] wanted or expected from us," said Drew, who's in charge of the team in place of Woodson while he attends to a family emergency in Texas. "A lot like the guys, we're not going through that learning process anymore either. We're established now. We know what Woody wants to do and how he wants to do it. And now we have to go out and get it done."

Williams back on floor

Rookie forward Marvin Williams got his first taste of scrimmage action Wednesday after sitting out both of Tuesday's sessions with a bruised thigh.

Williams didn't show any signs of hesitation during the controlled scrimmages, working inside and out and in heavy traffic around the basket.

"He got a chance to really test it," Drew said. "Anytime a guy has that kind of injury you really want t keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't aggravate it again.

"He was moving really well out there and didn't favor his leg or anything like that, especially when we got the more explosive stuff when he needed him to push off or put pressure on that leg. So that in itself was encouraging."

Playoffs?

Smith is taking his increased leadership role seriously. He didn't wait for the start of training camp to start setting lofty goals.

He predicted the Hawks would make the playoffs on Ryan Cameron's afternoon show on V-103 Wednesday, when he and Childress, Williams and Salim Stoudamire were in-studio guests.

"You've got to set big goals," Smith said.

Wright out

A day after being praised for his play by the coaches, former Georgia point guard Rashad Wright took himself out of camp.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Wright's New York-based agent, David Lee, felt his client needed to pursue his options elsewhere.

he's probaly right too...

I really like Boris. I agree the he needs to shoot the ball a little more. But, I think if you put him on the floor with some people who can score the ball from both the inside(Curry, Kwame, MWill) and outside(JJ, Salim, MWill) I think he could really really shine in the PG position.

He does everything pretty well...he even shoots pretty well when he actually shoots the ball that is. Put, him on the floor with Salim, JJ and Mwill and I think he do great at the PG spot

I don't think he could play there 40 minutes a night...but he wouldn't have too...only about 20-25 a night. he'd do a real nice job.

He aint learned nothing from Michael Vick. It is best to keep your mouth shut.

Michael Vick said he wasn't cutting his hair until he got to the superbowl, he might be looking like Lil Jon by the time we get there.

Smoove should have said I see this team having a much better season, with a shot even to make the playoffs.

Then again it is nice to see his confidence.