• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks lose 80-72!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotboyj

here's what a jazz fan who is watching the game said:

"Hawks: Marvin athletic but a little out of control, definetly is a PF not a SF

Childress has a nice jumper, Smith can dunk. Diaw sucks at the PG, better get someone good. Hawks have very good one on one talent and need a PG to distribute the ball and will be playoff caliber."

Jazz looked great. Atlanta looked terrible, especially since Smith, Childress, MWilliams, Diaw and Salim are likely to 3 of the starters at least and the rest be in a 9 man rotation. Hawks seems to run 3 plays- Childress get the ball and shoot it (and he looked good doing it), Smith get it somehow (fast break, rebound, by an assist) and dunk it, and Salim shoot a 30 footer (which he can clearly do). They don't seem to even have an offense.

Jazz players looked like they had a plan and knew what there were doing. They had an offense and played good defense. For the first game against what was suppossed to the best team at the RMR, it could not have gone better. Jazz looked great. The Hawks should go home.

Jazz players:

Humphries- 17/6- looked fantastic. Clearly the best player on the floor for the Jazz. Only missed 3-4 shots. Had some good post moves and good mid-range jumpers. Uses the glass well. Rebounded well. Looked like he knew where to go in the offense. Body looks great. He seems to be at least as tall as Whaley is, making you wonder if he could develop into an undersized center maybe. Offensively was great. Defensively it's hard to tell since Atlanta was absolutely nonexistant in the paint. Although Josh Smith beat him a couple of times, Humphries seemed to bother him.

DWilliams- 8/6- looked fine. Had about one really great play per quarter. Always moving, and is a great ball handler. Picked his shots well, made 50% or so. Had some great passes. Had a couple of sweeet drives in the paint with layups. Seems plenty quick against this competition. Seemed to be in the middle of where the ball was usually.

Whaley- 13/8 or so. Looked great. Has a great post game, lots of moves. Looks like he knows what he wants to do when he gets the ball posting up. Good rebounder. Big body. I didn't see him block anything, but the Jazz defense absolutely shut down Atlanta in the post, so he must have been playing defense at least pretty well. Kept up well with the flow of the game. If this was a good representation of what he is, he will make the team and go to the NBDL for a while, I would think. He and Humphires absolutely dominated inside, scoring and rebounding.

Olu- great athlete; had the two best dunks for the Jazz. Looks to score. I don't know if he made any outside shots, but looks very smooth. Really stood out.

Snyder- Didn't shoot much, but looked fine in limited minutes.

Miles- Got a few shots off, and made a couple. Didn't stand out by any means. Certainly looks to shoot if he is open.

Owens- played a lot and looked good. A good scorer and smart, experienced player in this context. Played the point in the second half behind Deron a lot and seemed to do fine.

Boyette- looked terrible; didn't play in the second half much if at all. All he does is drive and get fouled and then miss the foul shots.

Nelson- looked good in a few minutes of pt. Smart player.

D'or- Got very little playing time.

Hawks players-

Josh Smith- fantastic athlete, gets a lot of dunks, rebounds and blocks; runs floor well. Didn't shoot outside of the paint much at all.

Childress- looked great- good shooter.

Salim- looked like he was still in college making those threes.

Diaw- played a lot, but didn't do much.

MWilliams- did nothing; had more noticeably bad plays than noticeably good ones.

Well Chillz didn't start off to great last year, so we're going to cut Marvin some slack.

I guess the rookies need to learn how it feels to lose, so they can cope better once the season starts

Man please, we go there to win no questions asked, since we certainly need a confidence booster after last year.

I don't know any professional coach that has ever told a player go have fun, winning isn't what we're striving for.

The biggest reason I can see for the loss is Marvin, since I did expect him to play at least decently. Yeah I haven't seen the box score, and yeah he's coming off an injury, but I still am disappointed.

we go there to learn the fundamentals. Good grief, Woody isnt even there and I would be shocked if the team even ran an offensive or defensive set tonight. Right now its all about getting a feel for the game again after taking so long off. How some of you can be so clueless about something like this is beyond me.

Do you not remember when Woodson said he was just going to let them run loose?

Now can you please explain to me how fundamentals are going to be learned that way?

You learn fundamentals through practice, watching game tapes, and through conversation with the coaches.

The summer league is experience not fundamentals.

I'm saying I'm still sure the coach wanted a win, I don't know any person that is satisfied with losing.

If you guys are all just as happy as can be with us losing, fine by me, but with us going out there with the players we went with, I can't see any good reason why we lost.

Yes and no. They are definitely there to try to run real offensive and defensive plays. But they are not there to win. Sure we'll try, but it's no big deal. Otherwise we wouldn't be playing bums that we know won't make our roster. It's about testing players, getting them used to the system, and getting an early look at what does and doesn't work with our young players.

It's not about wins and losses

Good to see Salim 100% behind the arc...

• Premium Member

Actually, I read a Jazz fan say that the Hawks "didn't run a single play all night." It looks like the offensive plays will come later.

Right now the focus is on getting used to each other.

(It's a good sign that Childress did so well w/o structure. IMO it's b/c he's such a smart player).

Boy am I glad we didn't draft that Bogut kid...I mean he only had 7 points too...and too many fouls. The Bucks and Hawks got shafted!

I'm not at all concerned about summer league play. Like some of you pointed out, I tend to think there are things we work on moreso than just "w's."