• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Are the Hawks "dampiering" Curry?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

An article by Lacy Banks stated that Curry will be offered around a 5 year, $50M offer. Another article in a Chicago paper by a more reputable journalist stated that the meeting between Curry and the Hawks was "just for show."

Year 1: $8.6M

Year 2: $9.3M

Year 3: $10.1M

Year 4: $10.9M

Year 5: $11.7M

I think Chicago matches that offer any day of the week.

Are the Hawks "dampiering" Curry? If so, they won't be getting him.

They might match, but they might not, especially with the thought of us being able to offer a max deal to Chandler & them saddled with Curry's contract. They would be in a real bind when their youngster's come up for contract renewal if they matched both deals.

It crossed my mind that this may all be a setup to manuever Chicago into spending their money on Curry, thus opening up the door for Chandler - who would fit better. But Chicago could always call our bluff and we get "stuck" with Curry.

Quote:

They might match, but they might not, especially with the thought of us being able to offer a max deal to Chandler & them saddled with Curry's contract. They would be in a real bind when their youngster's come up for contract renewal if they matched both deals.

As I have posted before, I think Paxson is blowing smoke about Curry. I don't think he matches Curry's offer sheet because he really wants to keep Chandler. If he does, they eventually lose their younger guns to FAcy because they are capped out. I don't think Paxson makes that type of mistake.

• Admin

you just don't gamble with 50mil when you could get stuck with a player you don't really want. If they do match, then it puts us in a fortunate position to be able to still try for Chandler and have a better chance of getting him. But the offer for Curry is legit.

I agree with Chillz's post above...you dont just throw 50 mill at a player as a 'political move', especially this franchise and this year.

also, collier 'patrols the paint' like a cop at a dunkin donuts...whoops, there goes missed chance to block a shot...

That seems like a safe contract, even if we don't really want him. For arguments sake lets say it's a bluff. How easy would it be to showcase Curry for half a season and trade him at the deadline? It's a gamble, but we are in a position to make a few gambles with our cap situation.

The point is that contract is easily tradeable. The risk is injury.

You'd think so wouldn't you?

Kwame Brown quit on his team in the playoffs and has not materialized into anything better than Curry. Yet the lakers trade a legitimate talent and pay him big money.

Curry would have to play extremely poor to not be tradeable. I understand the fat and lazy stigma, but the statistics show a center that scores at least 15 ppg. For his position the contract mentioned above is very tradeable.

How many crap players getting paid $8 mill./yr because they are big men do you have to see before you believe?

If the worst thing to happen to us is we don't get the rebounding, raw Chandler, but we do get the great low post scorer, who needs to get motivated and lose weight.

I'll take that any day of the year.

As long as we include incentives in the deal there will be no problems.

Such as...

100 grand for every reb he averages per game

500 grand for every block he averages per game

5 mil if we make the playoffs

I don't want Dalembert here, and I barely want Chandler who has back problems.

Neither can set up their own shot, neither can shoot free throws, yet they can dunk, block, and rebound, which on our team, players 2, 3, and 4 are all capable of doing.

Curry fits in because our sg, sf, and pf do everything he can't.

Which is why I don't see his lack of rebounding and blocking as a big deal.

how is "great low post scorer, who needs to get motivated and lose weight" worst-case scenario?

that's the expected average scenario

worst case is that his heart is truly bad and he can't play...followed by him being healthy, but hardly contributing due to lack of desire and conditioning (see him non-contract years)

best case is a healthy and motivated offensive center that improves to about 8rpg and 1.5bpg, becoming a 22/8/1.5 player...which is still worse than the 20/10 standard that many players put up for less $$$...even chill has a better chance of being 20/10 than curry, cause i doubt he can ever double his current rebounding

• Premium Member

I think my original post was too vague.

If that's ALL the Hawks are offering, Curry WILL be matched. Chicago has the resources to pay near-max for both big men and still sign Deng, Hinrich, and Gordon later on. They have a good, young team with plenty of financial resources. They can afford the luxury tax if that happens down the road.

The Hawks are either going to have to offer more to Curry or they are simply maneuvering for a S&T. But the problem with a S&T is that it will cost the Hawks at least Al Harrington and another piece...

...And it's that "other piece" that worries me.

• Admin

we wouldn't. If he's not, then he's likely out of shape, bloated up and not willing to do what it takes to make it.

People believe that kwame needs that change of scenery. That's why they're willing to take a chance on him. Curry on the other hand, if he comes here, gets fat and lazy and doesn't produce, nobody will take him. Because it becomes a matter of changing who he is, not just the town he's playing in.

Quote:

Another article in a Chicago paper by a more reputable journalist stated that the meeting between Curry and the Hawks was "just for show."

To be fair, he didn't claim to have any inside info. It was just his opinion on the situation that it had to be just for show. I don't think it was at all. I think Curry would rather be in Chicago, but push come to shove he will sign our sheet, and then it would be in Chicago's hands.