• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks lose again, YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotboyj

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/RRMR05_07.pdf

recap:http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/05game7.html

I can clearly see we weren't trying to win tonight, but the biggest names on San Antonio's team is Britton Johnson and Andre Barett.

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with Marvin. I mean Chillz put up better numbers last year in the RMR.

I think he is scared out of his @ss.

Tonight he went 2-7 fg.

Game before that he went 4-13

Game before that he went 2-9

We are giving Marvin the most minutes out of everyone, and he just isn't producing.

His great shot, which most of this board said was better than Carmelo's, isn't falling.

Diaw ain't doing jack $hit.

We need to trade him while people still think he has a chance.

Childress shot a great percentage, but he didn't shoot much.

He either wasn't getting touches, or he wasn't asking for them.

Gyasi cline heard shot 4-14 at the free throw line.

All of you Daly/Chandler guys shouldn't complain, because that is what you'll be getting on a nightly basis.

Smoove played well in his little playing time.

Marvin is really struggling and that is very bothersome.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come, because I really want this guy to be good.

The game was lost at the charity stripe.

NOW in order to keep some "fans" happy. I think we should trade him now. Maybe we can package him with Smoove and Childress and Harrington to Portland for Theo and Reef. I mean surely guys like Kobe and T-Mac were shooting 100% from the floor and scoring 50ppg in their first or second summer league with no offense installed, right?

Gyasi Cline-Heard and Arthur Johnson must be All-Stars.

I'm not at all alarmed at Marvin's play. It's just summer league. The only thing I am a little alarmed at is the fact that it seems no one but Salim Stoudamire is willing to shoot the three.

July 18, Salt Lake City, -- Britton Johnsen continues to have a stellar summer league with 21 points and 8 rebounds as the San Antonio Spurs dropped the Atlanta Hawks 79-71 in game seven of the 2005 Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue. The Spurs improved to 2-0, while the Hawks fall to 1-2.

San Antonio set a strong precedent in the first quarter, doubling Atlanta 24-12. Johnsen had 10 points, including two three pointers early. Atlanta constantly tried to get going several times but came up short, as Gyasi Cline-Heard went 2-6 at the line and Childress missed a monster dunk late. Second-year star forward Josh Smith put up six, and center Arthur Johnson chipped in four in the quarter, making up the majority of the Hawks' scoring.

Despite clumsy ball handling and turnovers, Atlanta closed the gap in the second. Salim Stoudamire came out fast and furious with an impossible three and quick field goal, both in the first three minutes. Josh Childress and Josh smith contributed four a piece for the Hawks. On the other end Johnsen continued to please the Salt Lake crowd as he led the Spurs with six more points, despite missing three consecutive threes. But San Antonio still managed a decisive 40-29 lead at the half.

Atlanta’s troubles continued into the third when Childress was pulled after committing three fouls within the first three minutes, giving him five. Refs tightened thei rgrip on the game, slowing the pace and dishing out 21 total fouls. But Atlanta finally heard from first-round selection Marvin Williams, who went 2-7 from the field and 3-4 from the line. Hawk Donta Smith also stepped up with his first six points of the game. The two youngsters' contributions helped Atlanta pull narrow the gap to just 10, 58-48. More importantly, they seized momentum heading into the fourth.

Atlanta really caught fire early in the fourth when rookie workhorse Gyasi Cline-Heard threw down two dunks from under the basket in the first minute. Cline-Heard had 12 points and seven rebounds in the fourth, and almost single-handedly carried the team back into contention.

The Hawks came within one point late, 67-66, with an impressive high-flying putback dunk from Childress, but San Antonio answered with a quick four points. Atlanta came close again, 71-70, with a basket and foul shot from Cline-Heard with a minute and a half left in the game. But the Spurs hit their free-throws down the stretch to close out the game. Down by as much as 17, the Hawks valiant effort came up just short.

Quote:

I can clearly see we weren't trying to win tonight, but the biggest names on San Antonio's team is Britton Johnson and Andre Barett.

From wrapup.

The Hawks came within one point late, 67-66, with an impressive high-flying putback dunk from Childress, but San Antonio answered with a quick four points. Atlanta came close again, 71-70, with a basket and foul shot from Cline-Heard with a minute and a half left in the game. But the Spurs hit their free-throws down the stretch to close out the game. Down by as much as 17, the Hawks valiant effort came up just short.

Doesn't sound like a team not trying to win to me!

I agree summer league games are usually not a reason to be too excited either way..However, there is one concern I have with our team this year..There are at least 7 players on our summer league team that will be on our regular season roster..There are 3 or 4 guys that will probably start during the regular season..The San Antonio team that beat us today will be lucky if 1 player on that team makes the Spurs..Our coaches and players need to learn to win..These young guys that went through last season need a boost of confidence..I would love to see our coaches play a couple of games to win, to run up the score if possible..I would love to see Smoove have a 25/10 game..I would love to see Boris have 7 or 8 assists..The players themselves should not be happy losing to a whole team of NBDLers..Alot of you guys talk about Marvin being a superstar, any player that has the superstar mentality would be very frustrated putting up bad numbers against guys that can't even play in the league..I wonder if Jordan stunk it up 3 games in a row in his rookie summer league?

Dwight Howard summerleague

12 ppg 10.4 rpg

Dwight Howard nba season

12 ppg 10 rpg

Ben Gordon summer league

13.5 ppg 1.8 rpg 1.3 apg

Ben Gordon nba season

15 ppg 2.6 rpg 2apg

Andre Iguodala summer league

10.8 ppg 5.8 rpg

Andre Igupdal nba season

9 ppg 5.7 rpg

Josh Childress summer league

10.8 ppg 10 rpg

Josh Childress nba season

10.1 ppg 6 rpg

Primoz Brezec summer league

14.5 ppg 6.7 rpg

Primoz Brezec nba season

13 ppg 7.4 rpg

I know yall are going to say what about Kapono, and Skita, and all the other great summer league players, but horrible nba season players.

What it does is give you an idea on what a player can do in similiar minutes.

No I'm not saying Marvin is going to be a bust because he is struggling, buy I still do have some concern.

I just wanted to show people summer league is more than worthless pick up games.

Marvin was drafted on potential, he's not a finished product. Add to that a sore hamstring, and there's no reason for concern. He wasn't drafted because he has a great chance to be ROY, he was drafted because of the beast he might be in a couple of years.

Am I the only one having a flashback to last year when many here were already calling childress a bust?

I haven't seen the games, but from what I've read at InsideCarolina.com, he's not hitting his shots in the lane. Marvin's "great shooting" refers to his ability to hit jump shots, which he really hasn't had a chance to display since highschool. Other than some open threes and 15 footers in college (which he converted at a good percentage) and his NBA workouts, he's been confined to the low post. He played almost exclusively down low in college, where he had a lot of shots blocked and some very poor shooting nights to go with his great games. His knack for drawing contact and getting to the free throw line, where he's automatic, made you feel a lot better about his shooting percentage.

Marvin's very raw, especially in the post. He still had a long way to go to be a dominant college player, but no one doubted that that is exactly what he would become this season. He doesn't have any polished moves down low, so all of his production comes from being aggressive and attacking the rim. Fortunately that draws contact and results in lots of boards and tip ins. Unfortunately, it also gets him in awkward positions with the ball from time to time that make it difficult to finish and gets some of his shots blocked. Marvin can hit jumpers, but the Hawks seem to be keeping him inside right now where we need some help, and frankly, where he needs the most work.

Just try to remember that summer league games are not played to showcase talent to get fans excited. This is like spring training, wins and losses mean very little, stats mean very little. Learning to play the right way and learning to play with your teammates are the most important things to accomplish.

As a huge Marvin fan I selfishly sort of wish he was shooting high percentages and draining long range shots, but I know that the Hawks probably need him to be a post player more than they need him to be a perimeter player, so I'm glad that they're focusing on developing his big man game.

Be patient with him. He's not LeBron, but he sure as heck ain't Darko. He's not ready to be a star in his rookie season. If he becomes one, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but that's not what he was drafted for. he was drafted to be a long term fixture for the organization.

He is smart and focused on working hard. He's not gonna flake out on this organization, so don't flake out on him after some summer league scrimmages. Remember that they don't even allow guys to foul out in summer league. This is valuable game like practice for our young guys, its not even a preseason exhibition situation.