• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Monday Insider

Admin

In reply to:

World Championships: The next Nowitzki? 10 players to watch

by Chad Ford

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Lewis still holding out for sign-and-trade | Sabonis, Hudson find homes | Joe says "No" to Bonzi | Peep Show

Updated NBA Depth Charts

NBA Free Agent Watch

You know that NBA international invasion conspiracy talk that's been jamming the airwaves the last few months? It's bogus. The invasion is over, it's the shadow government we have to worry about at this point.

For the first time ever, folks in the know are wringing their hands a bit. Is this the year Team USA, and our dreams of American basketball superiority, take a beating?

The NBA's international scouting movement has produced a monster that one day will consume us. This year, the basketball World Championships will feature three international NBA All-Stars — Dirk Nowitzki, Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic; last year's rookie of the year, Pau Gasol; and two members of the NBA's All Rookie Team — Andrei Kirilenko and Vladimir Radmanovic. Had Canada's Steve Nash not pulled out at the last minute, you could've added a fourth NBA All-Star to that list.

We may not be seeing the best U.S. players at the Worlds, but we will see the cream of the international crop next week.

For the first time in a long time the best player out there may not be an American. Germany's Nowitzki, the only player in the tournament who was named to either the NBA first or second team last season, is arguably the most talented player in Indy.

Divac, not Antonio Davis or Raef LaFrentz, is the best center at the Worlds. In fact, the U.S. would probably prefer Pau Gasol to either Davis or LaFrentz. Stojakovic will battle Reggie Miller as the best shooter in the tournament. And let's not forget a few other young studs like Hidayet Turkoglu, Predrag Drobnak, Kirilenko, Radmanovic and Oscar Torres

And those are the players you already know. For many U.S. fans, the Worlds will be their first introduction to several future international NBA stars. Insider talked to several top NBA international scouts to give you the lowdown on the 10 international players to watch at this week's Worlds Championships. Had Raul Lopez and Nene Hilario not pulled out with injuries, we could've made it an even dozen. Give them a few years and they'll be giving the Dream Team nightmares.

1. Yao Ming, C, China

NBA Team: Rockets

The Skinny: Yao may be a bigger draw than Team U.S.A. and the rest of the NBA international players combined. The U.S. exhibition game was nice, but we want to see Yao in a real game. Sure, he played versus the U.S. in the 2000 Olympics, but he was just 19 years old then. Yao's first game is Thursday versus Germany. We were looking forward to a stellar Shawn Brandley-Yao matchup, but with Bradley off the team, look for Yao and Nowitzki to mix it up a little in the middle. But the big date is Saturday, Aug. 31st when China meets the U.S.

2. Marko Jaric, PG, Yugoslavia

NBA Team: Clippers

The Skinny: Many consider Jaric to be the top point guard in Europe right now. He's tall, 6-foot-7, has an old-school pass-first mentality and loves to push the ball. The Clippers just signed him to a three year, $6 million deal. However, with Andre Miller now in the fold in L.A., Jaric will have to learn the NBA ropes backing him up off the bench. Look for a nice matchup Friday when Jaric is matched up against another hyper point guard, Spain's Juan Carlos Navarro.

3. Emmanuel Ginobili, SG, Argentina

NBA Team: Spurs

The Skinny: How confident are the Spurs in Ginobili? They went ahead and shipped off Antonio Daniels to make sure that Ginobili, a former Euroleague MVP, gets plenty of minutes this season. Ginobili is already off to a red-hot start in exhibition play. He led Argentina to 3-0 record in the Pistons International Classic over the weekend. He averaged a sizzling 20 points on 24 of 31 shooting for the tournament and grabbed MVP honors. Argentina doesn't meet the U.S. in Round 1, but they should meet sometime in Round 2. They are considered, along with Yugoslavia, to have the best chance at medaling.

4. Mehmet Okur, PF, Turkey

NBA Team: Pistons

The Skinny: The Pistons stole him in the second round of the draft in 2000 and now Okur, a 6-foot-11 bruiser with a sweet outside shot, is ready to play in the NBA. The Pistons just signed him to a two-year contract last week and they expect big things out of him right away this season. The team already got a nice taste of what he can do this weekend at the Pistons International Classic. On Saturday, Okur scored 33 points, with 11 rebounds, four blocks and four steals versus a team of U.S. free agents. "He is going to be a terrific player," Scott Roth, an assistant with the Memphis Grizzlies, told the Detroit News. "It's just a matter of his learning curve and how quickly he picks up on the terminology and the defensive concepts of the NBA game. Offensively, he is good enough to play right away."

5. Dejan Bodiroga, G, Yugoslavia

NBA Team: Kings

The Skinny: He's a legend in Europe, but Bodiroga's been reluctant to play in the U.S. despite numerous offers. In fact, this summer, several NBA teams were willing to give up first-round picks to the Kings in return for Bodiroga's rights. However, Bodiroga instead decided to sign another contract in Europe, ending the discussions. Bodiroga can play three different positions on the floor, including point guard. He's a great ball handler, a dangerous outside shooter and one of the smartest players in Europe. A strong showing here versus the quicker U.S. players may give him the confidence he needs to finally make the leap to the U.S.

6. Mladen Sekularac, SG, Yugoslavia

NBA Team: Mavericks

The Skinny: Sekularac took a huge hit draft night when he slipped from the late first round all the way until the end of the second. But, in the end he may have landed in the best possible position. The Mavs don't really need him this season, but they were impressed with his toughness and outside shooting at the summer league. He probably would've made the Mavs this season, but decided instead to forego a buyout and play out the last season of his contract in Europe. Expect Sekularac to resurface next season, giving them another dangerous weapon from beyond the arc.

7. Igor Rakocevic, G, Yugoslavia

NBA Team: Timberwolves

The Skinny: His high-flying antics in Yugoslavia have stuck him with the nickname "White Jordan" After seeing his performance at the Shaw Summer Pro League, that may be a little much. It's his ability to play both backcourt positions, not his dunking prowess, that has the Wolves considering adding him to their thin backcourt this season. "He is more typical of an American player," says Divac. "He jumps very high, looks to score and has a lot of heart. He has a lot of moves, like Jason Williams. He is a little one, but he likes to dunk with two hands. He doesn't hesitate to drive in the middle of big people and put up shots."

8. Luis Scola, PF, Argentina

NBA Team: Spurs

The Skinny: He's a true low-post bruiser and may eventually be part of the answer for the Spurs down low when David Robinson retires next season. He'll likely play one more season in Spain before joining the Spurs, but Scola already figures to be a force on Argentina during the tournament. His toughness in the paint and on the boards reminds some scouts of Elton Brand.

9. Juan Carlos Navarro, G, Spain

NBA Team: Wizards

The Skinny: Navarro is a quick combo guard and an explosive scorer. His game is penetration and he can take just about anyone off the dribble in Spain. He's usually overshadowed a bit by Raul Lopez, but with Lopez out, he'll be running the show. The Wizards really liked his hustle and his defense and figure to bring him over next summer once Chris Whitney and Tyronn Lue come off the books.

10. Milos Vujanic, PG, Yugoslavia

NBA Team: Knicks

The Skinny: The 6-foot-4 Vujanic, the Knicks' second-round pick in June, may be the point guard of the future in New York. Vujanic will play this season with his Yugoslavian team, but the Knicks plan to have him for the summer league next July and the 2003 training camp. The kid was good enough that [selecting another point guard) wasn't really a concern," Knicks assistant GM Jeff Nix said. "We had targeted him from last summer. We felt he's the second-best point guard in Europe [behind Jaric]. He pushes the ball, throws it ahead to the open player and works to defend."

Yugoslav team gets final tune-up

Michael Hunt / Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Argentina gains momentum with title

Chris McCosky / Detroit News

U.S. coasts but still has long way to go

Mark Montieth / Indianapolis Star

Knicks Keep Eye On Vujanic

Marc Berman / New York Post

It's U.S. against improved world

Lacy J. Banks / Chicago Sun-Times

Lewis still holding out for sign-and-trade

Patience is running out in Dallas, Seattle and Houston as free agent Rashard Lewis continues to mull over the virtues of the Sonics' seven-year, $60 million offer versus the Mavs' three-year, $15 million deal.

The offers haven't changed substantially in weeks, but Lewis is still holding out hope for a bigger contract somewhere else.

The Tacoma News Tribune reported this weekend that the Sonics contract can be increased to as much as $75 million, but that can happen only if Lewis makes the All-Star team each year of the deal.

Is that enough to push him to Seattle? Apparently not. It should come as no surprise that Lewis is holding out for a sign-and-trade deal with the Sonics. Dallas doesn't really have the combination of young players, or players in the last year of their contracts, that Seattle is looking for. The Rockets, however, have several players who could fit the bill. Insider reported on Thursday that the Sonics were pushing the Rockets to give up Eddie Griffin as part of any sign-and-trade package.

The News Tribune reported the same deal in its Saturday edition and added that the Rockets turned down the deal because they did not want to part with Griffin.

That should be the clearest signal yet to Lewis that teams don't value him as high as his agent does. If the Rockets aren't willing to give up an unproven player like Griffin in return for Rashard — they don't think that highly of him.

With Houston seemingly out of the picture, what's left for Lewis? Unless the his agent can get another team like Indiana to enter the sign-and-trade picture, it's $60 million in Seattle or $15 million and promise from Dallas for much, much more in 2005.

Source: Sonics shopping Lewis

Frank Hughes / Tacoma Tribune

Sabonis, Hudson find homes

While Rashard Lewis' waffling remains the most popular response to the free-agent market, a few significant free agents found new homes this weekend.

The Oregonian is reporting that center Arvydas Sabonis is on the verge of signing a one-year, $7 million contract to return to the Blazers.

"Once I received Portland's offer, everything was very clear," Sabonis told Lietuvos Rytas, a Lithuanian newspaper. "It might be one of the last contracts in my career, therefore I have to use this opportunity."

The Blazers and Sabonis' agent, Herb Rudoy, told the Oregonian on Saturday that the contract isn't finalized, although Sabonis made it sound as if the contract already is in the mail to Lithuania and that the only detail missing from it is his signature. According to the report, Sabonis hasn't ruled out playing more than one season, but he did insist on just a one-year contract.

Will Sabonis make that big of difference? He averaged just 10 points and 5.4 rebounds for the Blazers during the 2000-01 season. Teammate Damon Stoudamire seems to think so. "If he came back tomorrow, he'd still have to be one of the top seven or eight centers in the league," Stoudamire told the Oregonian. "You have to respect what he does on the offensive end alone. With the right frame of mind, and the coaches understanding Sabas, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to help this club."

The other significant signing will take place in Minnesota. After a series of high-profile rejections, the T-Wolves finally got their hands on another point guard to back up Terrell Brandon.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Magic point guard Troy Hudson will sign a three-year contract starting at $2.25 million, roughly half of the Wolves' mid-level exception.

"We got to a point in our evaluation that the top two [free agent] point guards left were Troy Hudson and Travis Best," Wolves V.P. Kevin McHale said. "Troy's a little bit younger; he had a good year last year in Orlando. He has the ability to break people down, he can score on his own and do some of the things we need on this team."

According to Pioneer Press, Hudson turned down the Wolves' first unofficial offer of their $1.4 million exception last week, but the Wolves began dealing again when Cleveland matched their offer sheet for forward Ricky Davis, giving Minnesota back its $4.5 million exception.

The move should give the Wolves a comfort level at point guard now. Last season, Hudson averaged 12.8 ppg. However, he had a negative turnover-to-assist ratio, giving a way two turnovers per game to his 1.5 assists.

Sabonis close to rejoining Blazers

Jim Beseda / Oregonian

Wolves plan to sign point guard Hudson

Robbi Pickeral / St. Paul Pionner Press

Joe says "No" to Bonzi

It looks like those Bonzi Wells to Detroit for Jerry Stackhouse rumors were short lived.

Pistons president Joe Dumars told the Detroit News that nothing is happening between the Blazers and Pistons. "To do a sign-and-trade, you have to be talking to the team. We're having no conversation with them."

Dumars pointed the finger at Wells agent, Bill Strickland. "I had one conversation with Bill Strickland, weeks ago," Dumars said. "I am sure I am not the only team he's talked to."

Still, Dumars didn't shut the door on the trade completely. "I've always said that if anybody calls and offers something, I will listen," Dumars said. "But listening to a deal and making a deal are two different things. I won't hang up on anybody who's making an offer, you know, but Bob Whitsitt has not called and made an offer. There is nothing on the table."

Dumars says Stackhouse trade rumors aren't true

Chris McCosky / Detroit News

Peep Show

Blazers: Turns out those Shawn Kemp buyout numbers, like everything else related to Kemp, were inflated. All in all, Kemp will give up $16 million (not $25 million as reported by the Oregonian) and will get most of his money up front the next two years.

Heat: If things weren't bad enough for Alonzo Mourning, he told the Washington Post on Saturday that he is also battling anemia. "The kidney disorder triggered other abnormalities in my body, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and now anemia," Mourning told The Post. "I started feeling very fatigued, very lethargic. My minutes dropped off because I was having problems getting up and down the court. . . . By the time I practiced or played a game, I had nothing left in the tank. I had nothing left for my family by the time I got home. It just wasn't worth it. If I had to live like that, I would have had to back away from the game." Mourning says he still intends to play several more years in the NBA.

Magic: Expect the Mike Miller trade rumors to quiet a bit. GM John Gabriel, as expected, extended Miller's contract this weekend and then said Miller will be a big part of the Magic's future. "It's a logical step," Gabriel told the Orlando Sentinel. "It gives us the right of first refusal regarding Mike. We want him here for a long time."

Hornets: Free agent Robert "Tractor" Traylor signed a two-year deal with the Hornets on Friday. According to the Times Picayune, the contract won't be worth more than $2 million a year. "You know, he's a great insurance policy for us," coach Paul Silas said. "We won some games with him. He plays the four and five for me; he knows the system so we don't have to teach him and he's a heck of a rebounder. On top of that, he's a crowd pleaser. They love him. He adds a lot to our club."

Is it me or does Uncle Joe sound like Pete Babcock when

mentioning Stackhouse in a trade.Maybe the Pistons need

to trade for Emanual Ginobili for just in case Stack can't

continue to be a team player like he was last year.=)

Ginobili would make for good insurance.