• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Suns are preparing to match JJ

Rexhawk

fan revolt or not, they are still gonna need more than Amare, Matrix, Nash, and Joe Johnson

remember they have to have 14 players signed like us wink.gif

i think we will offer the max to JJ when bidding opens and let the chips fall where they may

*heres hoping for a Hawks miracle wink.gif *

I agree, if JJ wants out, why force him to stay with a offer from us that the Suns are clearly preparing to match. If we wait until next year, provided that he does not sign any contracts with the Suns this year, we can grant him his wish. This delay is killing us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I agree, if JJ wants out, why force him to stay with a offer from us that the Suns are clearly preparing to match. If we wait until next year, provided that he does not sign any contracts with the Suns this year, we can grant him his wish. This delay is killing us.

+

He won't turn down at least 50 million to take a 3 million dollar qualifying offer.

The Hawks have to gamble here.

If we can make him an offer he can't refuse or that the Suns

CAN'T match because its front end loaded, go for it... roll the dice. I guess what I am saying here is this: if we are going to war for him, we have to "fight" to win..... No weak, low-ball, matchable, offers. We have to make it as painful as possible for the Suns to retain him. The collateral damage may be that they cannot extend Amari. It looks like the Suns are moving to match any offer we make so discreation may be the better part of valor here.

• Premium Member

Phoenix may think about resigning JJ.. but let's be honest..

JJ is not worth 70 million. Especially not if it puts Phoenix deep into Luxury tax...

Moreover, Phoenix picked up Raja Bell and may get Finley which can compensate for the loss of JJ (cheaply).

It would be a huge risk but JJ MIGHT take it if Phoenix "low balls" him with a $50M offer over 6 years when we were willing to offer him $70M over 5 years. It may be questionable that he is worth max money but he is DEFINITELY worth more than $50M over 6 years. Now if they were to offer him $60M+, he'd almost have to take it.

All that being said, I think you have to go ahead and make Phoenix match a frontloaded, max offer. They will probably do it but it will hurt them bad. Perhaps you even consider doing a sign and trade where they get our 1st round pick from Boston (lottery protected) and Diaw if they want him.

PERIOD. What I mean by that is if he does not work out at PG, worse case, we have a SG with a great shooting stroke who can also play PG and SF in spurts.

As for JJ driving and dishing, no doubt he can. He can also drive and finish himself. I think the biggest advantage he will have at PG though is backing the smaller man down and shooting over him.

Guest Walter

Any contract they sign Amare to won't kick in until next year. So a frontloaded contract may even help Pheonix as it will amount to less next year when money becomes more of an issue.

W

• Premium Member

I was just reading Coon's website. I don't know if it's possible or what are the parameters for frontloading a contract. As we understand it, Frontloading means that a player gets his raises up front (like in the Larry Johnson Contract which was a marvel to basketball)... However, the Lamar Odom contract was front loaded, paid a lot up front, but he still receives raises??

The other thing is Signing Bonuses?

I just think that there is something that BK can do to make it hard for Phoenix to resign JJ. Maybe it's just a straight contract with 8.5% raises... But I hope that there's a way to make JJ BYC for most of his playing career.

'>http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...igning_padgett/

Quote:

Suns Close To Signing Padgett 29th July, 2005 - 2:36 pm East Valley Tribune - After acquiring Kurt Thomas from the Knicks, the Phoenix Suns are looking to further add size and depth to their frontcourt. The Phoenix Suns are apparently set to sign unrestricted free agent forward Scott Padgett to a multi-year deal when contracts can be officially tendered next week.

Interesting that the Suns are adding a sharp shooter to their frontcourt. smirk.gif