• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you believe KB, you'd think JJ was a PG at Ark.

Diesel

• Premium Member

NBAdraft.net.

SI

Quote:

Johnson is an enticing package to pro scouts. He can score inside and out, rebound and pass. He played four positions at Arkansas,
even shifting to point guard on occasion.
Inexperience is his biggest downside.

So there you have it, JJ at PG was the exception, not the norm while at Arkansas. The same is true now. I don't think that Johnson is a guy that can read defenses and get us into and out of offensive sets. I think he's just another big ball handler similar to Diaw and Christie. I think it would be a mistake to pay him 70 million to come here for that purpose.

Now.. IF we could move Chillz to the 3, Smoove the 4 and get a good trade for Al.. then maybe it would make since, especially if we could get Stoudamire. Even:

DS, JJ, JC, JS, EC...

Might not be so bad.

But we have to start to show some respect for positions.

• Premium Member

I would take Damon and the 64 million dollars saved AND the chance to play Chillz at SG and Smoove at SF..

Than to take JJ and have Chillz on the bench or maybe traded...

Point is that I'm not in total agreement of getting these guys that don't fit simply because we have money and they are available... That's stupid Babcock type GMing...

Even if you think Chillz is starter-quality (which I do), it can be really nice to have a 6th man like that, who can back up a couple of spots and excel doing it. ESPECIALLY if the team is going to run.

• Premium Member

No knock on JJ..

But would you pay 70 million dollars over 5 yrs for a Combo gaurd??

I'm looking forward for the face of the Hawks to be Chillz, Smoove. Al may or may not be here... Marvelous has a lot of proving to do for me...

Quote:

No knock on JJ..

But would you pay 70 million dollars over 5 yrs for a career 6th man?

I'm looking forward for the face of the Hawks to be Chillz, Smoove. Al may or may not be here... Marvelous has a lot of proving to do for me...

LOL @ JJ being a career 6th man. JJ would be capable of averaging 20/5/5 for ATL as soon as next year.

If 10 years from now & Chillz is the face of the franchise, then something went terribly wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

If 10 years from now & Chillz is the face of the franchise, then something went terribly wrong.

[/indent]

As long as he keeps his fro, I'm fine with that!

• Premium Member

I think Chillz is probably the best talent we have next to Al and Chillz probably has the highest upside.

I hear all this talk of Smoove and Marvin's upside... And I'm a smoove fan..

But look at Chillz for a minute. There is seemingly no place that Chillz can't be good. He's a good ball handler. He's a good rebounder. He's a good defender. He's a good shooter. He needs work on his three point shot. He's a good passer. Plus he has leadership potential. Rarely have there been rookie players that come in as versatile as Chillz.

Smoove is not versatile. He does a few things well. Power basketball and shot blocking. He still has a lot to learn about defensive positioning which is 90% of good defense. He still has a lot to learn about many of the offensive skills like shooting and passing and ball handling. I think that because of his athleticism, he has a high ceiling but it's less likely that he will get there because of the skills he needs to master.

Marvin... No doubt, I believe Marvin is just hype. He has a lot to prove to me. I watched intently that summer league game against Utah.. I have watched it 2 times now. I have not seen anything so mind blowing or eyebrow raising about Marvin. I didn't see it when he played for UNC either. I would have much rather we got Deron Williams!

I watched Joe Johnson when he was at Arkansas. You obviously didn't. The man that was setting their offense regardless of where he played was Joe Johnson.

Next, you will try to say that Ronnie Brewer doesn't set the offense for Arkansas. After all, he's 6'7" tall. That means he can't be a point guard.

• Premium Member

Dude you must have forgot...

Not only did I watch JJ, I wanted JJ to be a Hawk more than anybody on this board. I was pissed when Boston traded JJ and we were not in the mix.

Listening to you consistently say JJ played PG in College.. I had to not only rebuke your statment, but back up what I said... Which you can't.

JJ played the 2/3 mostly.

They had Pargo and Cleveland playing PG. Mostly Pargo.

They were an uptempo team that ran constantly and blew teams out.

They played Kentucky..

Beat Kentucky when Kentucky sported Bogans/Prince.

Bogans scored like 25 points and was on fire.. But they couldn't get close.

Cleveland scored like 3 points maybe he didn't score at all, but he caused all sorts of problems on both ends... I wouldn't be surprised if he had 10 assists with 0 points.

JJ was the man in that game. He couldn't be stopped.

Anyway... JJ was not playing PG... It was not a usual thing for him to play PG... Unlike the BS you're selling.

• Premium Member

You mean like signing Jax or Walker or Drobs or Lue...

Come on KB....

BK does it all the time. He signs guys who does not "fit" in order to get talent! That's the same thing here. DS is probably the most experienced PG on the FAcy market. It would be a good thing to get him because he can still run, he can still hit the three, and he can still get us into and out of offensive sets.. He's a good stop gap until we can get RONDO ready!

Wrong.

Pargo was a spot up shooter. Joe Johnson was the primary ball handler the Hogs had at that time. Joe Johnson set the table for the Hogs offense, just as Ronnie Brewer does now.

But I keep forgetting. Joe is 6'8" tall, that means he can't be a point guard.

I will ask you again KB, if Joe Johnson is a great point guard, why did Phoenix work so hard to get Nash?..Its because while Joe can run the point on occasion,but he is just like a more refined Boris Diaw..He is slow, methodical, and cannot penetrate..There is also no way in hell Joe will ever guard the likes of Iverson and Wade..

Quote:

I will ask you again KB, if Joe Johnson is a great point guard, why did Phoenix work so hard to get Nash?..Its because while Joe can run the point on occasion,but he is just like a more refined Boris Diaw..He is slow, methodical, and cannot penetrate..There is also no way in hell Joe will ever guard the likes of Iverson and Wade..

To be devil's advocate, Nash didn't exactly do a whole lot of guarding either smile.gif