• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AZ Republic> trade should work out by Monday

sturt

• Premium Member

But for all of those who thought that MWill might not be hungry enough, there's something fairly disturbing in this article, nonetheless... see second bold...

JJ trade waits on Hawks to sign off

NBA needs OK from key owner

Richard Obert

The Arizona Republic

Aug. 4, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns' sign-and-trade deal with Joe Johnson has been delayed because of internal issues with the Atlanta Hawks.

Wednesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that one of the team's owners, Steve Belkin, who is the team's NBA governor, has not signed off on the deal. The other team owners want the deal to happen, but the NBA requires the team's governor to endorse it.

But the Suns believe by Monday that Johnson should be on his way to Atlanta after Phoenix matches the Hawks' five-year, $69.6 million offer, and trading him for second-year guard Boris Diaw, two lottery-protected draft picks and a trade exception.

Hawks management had no comment Wednesday.

"We just need to wait for the situation to resolve itself," Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo said.

Suns majority owner Robert Sarver reiterated Wednesday that the team's main off-season objective was to keep Johnson, a key part of the Suns' 62-win season in 2004-05.

He said meetings were canceled on Johnson's end this summer.

"It's a little hard to go out on a financial limb with somebody when they make it clear to you they don't want to play for the Phoenix Suns," Sarver said.

"The other day, I said, 'Joe, we're not talking about money anymore. I know what your contract is. Do you want me to match this offer?' He said, 'Absolutely not.' I said, 'We're on the verge of winning the championship. Don't you want to win a title?' He said, 'Yeah, a title would be great. But what's more important to me is being happy.'

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/artic...04suns0804.html

• Moderators

I like that 'on the verge of winning a championship'. They had a great year, but it was just one great year. They lack depth and play a style that hasn't won a championship in recent memory.

I'm not saying that they'll be bad and we'll be good, but I don't think JJ is going to look like a fool for coming here.

I agree. They had their "perfect year". We've seen it before, a team comes out of nowhere, and just about everything goes right and they don't win the championship. The only thing that didn't go perfectly was JJ's injury.

I think Kurt Thomas was a good pickup for playoff ball, but won't make up for losing JJ. They can only contend if they accept a new style of basketball with more D and more halfcourt sets. I can't see them doing that.

I do think they'll be in the top 3 western teams for the near future

• Premium Member

So... am I to take it that no one really cares if JJ's primary concern is his own happiness, and not an NBA title?

Don't get me wrong... I want him on the team... but I want him on the T-E-A-M.

That reply smacks of something a-thousand-and-one players might have said, who never won a title but made a lot of money for themselves, eg AI, KG, etc.

I'm hoping we find out later that Sarver paraphrased the conversation for his own purposes, and in doing so, seriously misquoted JJ.