• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diesel talks about the Hawks...... vol 2.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Seeing that we have raised the question of PG, the next question is that of Al.

What do we think ought to happen with Al?

I think Al should stay UNLESS we can find a team completing trade. I know what BK says about Al. He drafted him and he think that Al is a part of the future. I also know that some of you get gassed when the ownership mentions the Josh's and Marvin but not Al. I say unless Al doesn't want to be here, we keep him.

I simply think it's foolish to trade Al with no PF to step in... I hear talk about Smoove and Marvin but let's be real... Marvin won't be ready this year and maybe not next either. In fact, after people find out he's the next Tim Thomas, we'd be too embarrassed to show what we wasted a #2 pick overall on. Credit goes to the hype machine. Smoove just finished a season where he played more at the 2 than he did at the 4. I think eventually he might fill out and be a Kenyon Martin type 4, but he's not ready now. Al is 6'9 250. He's a load offensively. Defensively, I wonder why he doesn't rebound well.

BU PFs

Time is winding up on FAcy. I hope we can resign Googs. Arthur Johnson might recieve a contract as a project Pf. This season should be interesting.

My prediction is that with JJ working on the outside it will open up the inside for Al and the slashings of Chillz and Smoove!

Final Word:

Keep Al, look for a strong suitable BU like Googs and look for a PF/C project like Johnson... and let's call it!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with keeping Al. Without him we have no post presence. If traded it must be for a starter/star quality post player unless we are trying to improve our lottery position. I think with JJ and Salim out there it will really open things up for Al. If he's agressive like he was when we played the Pacers Al is a damn good player. I just hope he plays smarter and cuts down on his turnovers this season. I think he will because he will have less to prove this year than in previous seasons.

Do we have the entire season to extended him?

Quote:

Keep Al, look for a strong suitable BU like Googs and look for a PF/C project like Johnson... and let's call it!

Along with signing a resonalbly priced backup PG as you stated earlier, I would say we agree 100%. Cool!

• Premium Member

I dog Marvin for the same reason that many here praise Marvin as the next Jordan...

I noticed that you don't say nothing to them.

It seems unreasonable when you have several parties having an opinion of a player that you would attack the one side for making a conclusion without proof and yet you say nothing or maybe even praise the other side for doing the same thing...

So let's get down to the bottom line of this conversation.

You're not against Diesel because he has an opinion of Marvin without having seen Marvin play one pro game.

You're against Diesel because his opinion of Marvin doesn't match up with your opinion of Marvin.

Now, I could go through and thoroughly share with you why I feel the way I feel about Marvin. But would it matter? It's not going to change your opinion...

However, there is this one thing.

You said that I was not a good evaluation of talent...

That's odd... Seeing that you have nothing to prove that statement other than your beating heart and the tears welling up in your eyes... "Big bad Diesel said something bad about Marvin... I will fix him.. He will see.. He will rule the day when he talked about Marvin".

Learn this..

You don't evaluate talent based on your emotions...

If that were the case, JT would still be here.. Messing things up!

what is this, Diesel Fantasy World?

sheesh

the simple fact of the matter is, you dont have any more real idea how Marvin will pan out in the NBA than the rest of us

and no i dont care about any college stats you might offer smile.gif

with some of the wack-ass pointless trades you are proposing/(wasting everyones time with) on a daily basis, your credentials as 'an evaluator of talent' are highly suspect to say the least

maybe you should step away from yourself and your god-like predictive powers...you know, just to reevaluate smile.gif

good luck with it

Hey ATLBalller I think you should have Micheal Gearon JR. in your collectables instead of Harry The Hawk. Picture this: Belkin tells Gearon JR he is really his dad & that he should join him to fight the Billy knight forces.(lol)

Quote:

You're not against Diesel because he has an opinion of Marvin without having seen Marvin play one pro game.

You're against Diesel because his opinion of Marvin doesn't match up with your opinion of Marvin.

First of all, the fact that you refer to yourself in the third person speaks volumes as to just how out of how touch with reality you are. You, not Marvin, are a creation of the hype machine - your own!

Secondly, how do you know why I disagree your opinion of Marvin? The answer - you don't. I am an objective party, unlike you, and if your argument makes sense, I will always listen and consider. I disagree with your opinion because you have yet to see Marvin play a pro game, and despite your evaluation of his college game, the fact is that some guys blow up in the pros. It's almost impossible to predict who will and won't, but at least give that player a chance. My opinion is that it could be ANYONE who is not named CP3 or Deron, and you would dog them, out of spite.

Quote:

You said that I was not a good evaluation of talent...

That's odd... Seeing that you have nothing to prove that statement other than your beating heart and the tears welling up in your eyes... "Big bad Diesel said something bad about Marvin... I will fix him.. He will see.. He will rule the day when he talked about Marvin".

Again, crankin' up the hype machine! Big bad Diesel...puh-lease. You are laughable, if anything. Admittedly, though I know better, I find enjoyment in calling you out on your unfounded theories.

Nothing to prove that statement? How about your never ending barrage of ridiculous trades that deal away our talent for mediocrity, or ones that are so unrealistic even the Babcocks would balk.

Now send me your picture so I can add you to my group of Hawks collectibles.

• Premium Member

Click-1

Quote:

Re: It really doean't matter how good Marvin is [Re: tmac13]

They are similar.

Both played at North Carolina. Both are/were the best player in their respective drafts.

Click-2

Quote:

What exactly makes Chris Paul and Deron Williams better than Marvin Williams?

Let me guess. You would try to justify the drafting of the established Jerry Stackhouse over the potential that Kevin Garnett exuded during the 1995 draft? How many today would still take Stackhouse over Garnett?

This is the same situation. In Marvin Williams, you have a guy that brings a combination of skills, size, strength, and athleticism that no player at his position has ever brought to the NBA. A 6'9" speciman that has the ball handling and passing skills of Lamar Odom, the overall shooting ability of Carmelo Anthony, the strength of Amare Stoudemire, and the athleticism of Tracey McGrady. His potential is unmatched in this draft.

This is a young player that has showed elite athleticism, great range, consistency, and form on his jump shot, the ability to run the break with the ball in his hand, the ability to find the open man with the pass, the ability to defend as a help defender as well as an on the ball defender, and a team first attitude.

In Chris Paul, you have a guy who did well at the college level but has obvious size limiations for the pros and will likely never be any better than an average defender.

In Deron Williams, you have a guy who lacks consistency on his jump shot and lacks the explosion that the great ones have.

In Marvin Williams, you have a guy who has no apparent weaknesses to his game at all. The complete package. He has everything you can want in a power forward or a small forward, and his skill set will even allow him to play some shooting guard at times.

This guy is just a tremendous prospect, easily the best prospect in this draft, and that's why Atlanta should and will draft him.

Quote:

I dog Marvin for the same reason that many here praise Marvin as the next Jordan...

Name them. I see alot of people saying he had the most POTENTIAL of anyone in the draft, and that potential may or may not be fulfilled. Who are these people saying they are sure Marvin will be the next Jordan?

You on the other hand act as if you know for a fact that he will be a bust.

• Premium Member

Unfounded theories??

Let's just say it like this...

You don't pick a guy #2 overall Based On Potential Alone.

In big college games, Marvin Folded... So what are the Marvin fans left with...Potential.

When you have 2 proven PGs and your need is PG, you don't pick a guy based on POTENTIAL when he has not stepped up in the college game.

The comparisons to Jordan are silly because Jordan stepped up in college. The comparison to Mello is foolish because Mello was actually a leader.

Marvin is the product of HYPE.

He has the skill set of Tim Thomas and that's not bad.. BUT he's not worth passing over bonafide stars possibly superstars at the PG position. I hope he proves me wrong, but again, I don't think he's in the right situation to prove me wrong. His time will be behind Smoove/AL. That's probably for the best.

We will see just realize, he has to prove better than Deron, Smoove, and Paul otherwise we wasted our pick!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Lebron, Kwame, Darius Miles, Milicic, Dwight Howard, etc.

Lebron Dominated a talented HS field.. Let's not forget the guys who were playing with Lebron. Deng, Howard, Smoove, Smith, etc etc.. His hype was well founded.

Marvin didn't dominate in HS. He was good... but he didn't dominate.

Moreover:

Miles, Milicic, Kwame... So you use these guys to help prove that it's good to draft for potential and to prove that Marvin will not be a bust? Hmm... QED.. Thanks for sharing!

Guest Walter

Quote:

I disagree with your opinion because you have yet to see Marvin play a pro game, and despite your evaluation of his college game, the fact is that some guys blow up in the pros. It's almost impossible to predict who will and won't, but at least give that player a chance.

Guys that blow up in the pros generally blow up in the tourney. I don't think I've ever seen a worse performance by such a hyped player as Marvin in the NCAA tourney. He reminded me of hands-of-stone Hendu in the title game. Must have dropped at least 10 balls in his hands. just plain BAD!

My point? Marvin MAY wind up being better than Deron or Paul, but he would have to be significantly better than them to justify selecting him over them. Swingmen without a true position are a dime-a-dozen. Franchise Pgs are NOT. I think we made a mistake drafting Marvin.

A slightly understandable one, but a mistake none-the-less. A mistkae mostly because Marvin was only the 5th to 6th highest rated HSer in the 2004 draft. THAT'S why he pulled out! He didn't show me anything so special in his freshman year at UNC to suggest that ranking was a mistake, especially when it counted. Then he simply fell apart and looked silly out there doing it.

Man, do I hope I'm wrong, but there isn't one fact that suggests Marvin is all that. He's just etherial potential (and I'm not sure how much given his modest draft ranking a year ago). His not having a true position is just yet another concern with this guy. Again, hope I'm wrong.

W

W

Guest Walter

Marvin Williams? 5th to 6th best HS prospect in 2004 alone. There is NO comparison except both, like everybody else, played HS!!!

W

Quote:

People have been drafting as high as the top three picks based on potential for years, now. Lebron, Kwame, Darius Miles, Milicic, Dwight Howard, etc.

That is flat out wrong.

• Premium Member

How do you see the seeds of Marvin Growing (now that you're backing down off your opinion)...

How do you think Marvin will mature on the court when we have Chillz, JJ, Al, JC, JS all playing 2-4?

You know if JS bloosoms and AL is resigned, MWill will never develop right?

When all you have is potential, the only way you can develop is with playing time. That's why Al came here.