• Raised $440 of $700 target

John Edwards signs with Hawks

KalEl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the bio from Kent I posted below it might give you a little hope..He is supposed to be very athletic for his size, appears to be a shotblocker, and shoots a very high percentage..It looks like he might be a late bloomer type that has gotten better as he matured..BK commented yesterday about Zaza being tough and hardnosed..This Edwards guy also looks to be the banger type..Maybe thats what BK wants in a center..He may want someone who will take out someone who drives to the hoop..

• Admin

I have to agree, this guy will be bound for hte NBDL.

We still need a center and a point guard. Lue will eventually be signed so I am hoping that we acquire a guy with potential like Kendrick Perkins or David Harrison to be out center.

I would really love for us to get Magloire but I don't see that happening.

• Premium Member

From vdunkndunk over at RealGM:

Quote:

Here's this from Sports Illustrated's draft preview on Edwards:

BIO: In his
first and only season as a starter
, Edwards averaged 13.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in 26.1 minutes as a senior and earned MAC Defensive Player of the Year honors.
His prep career was hampered by injuries and illness as a result of his growth spurt, and he scored just 42 points in high school.

ANALYSIS: Edwards is a likely second-rounder, given how weak the depth is in this draft. He competed at both Portsmouth and Chicago and has been making the rounds on the workout circuit in hopes of raising his stock.

POSITIVES: Edwards does not look like a great athlete, but he gets off the floor.
When you combine that with a 7-foot, 264-pound frame and a 7-4 1/2 wingspan, you have the makings of a player who can rebound and block shots in the NBA. Edwards will never score you a ton of points, but he will take up space.

NEGATIVES: Edwards did very little to prove himself in college, so any predictions that he can succeed at the next level are speculative.
Moreover, at best Edwards is probably a backup center in the NBA.
In that sense, his upside is very short.

This guy is extremely raw, but does appear to be a Pryzbilla type of player. It can't hurt to have a 7'0, 264 lb., tough Midwesterner on the roster.

i think this blows honestly. i mean he's 24, so although there's potential there, it's not a big potential. although it says he's athletic, he didn't exactly light it up in college..was only the 5th option at lowly kent state scoring wise..did block some shots there but this is the NBA..

does BK see something in his defense? i don't know but i would have at least gotten someone like a diop who is at least servicable.

exactly. And there are no good centers left really. Might as well take a guy who hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet and hope that he blossoms. If not, no big loss really. If nothing else maybe he can toughen up Collier and foul Shaq 6 times per game when we play miami.

I agree. Bk is taking a risk with Edwards, just a 2 year offer and see what happens, is not like he offered than man millions of dollars.

On the other hand, he offered Zaza is good offer because Zaza has shown promise and is only 21 years old.

Never know what can happen with a 24 year old 7 footer that is hungry for minutes, and if he works hard and plays defense he will get his share of minutes.

• Premium Member

His name man...that's how you know the guy won't amount to much. Seriously, when is the last time a guy with a name THAT plain amounted to anything in the NBA?

One plain name is fine...

Like Williams for example: Marvin, Deron, Buck Williams Decent names. Not plain. Two plain names? Frank Williams? Eric Williams? Too plain. Bleah.

Johan Edwards, I'd be cool with that. John Edwardos, y'know...might be on to something there. Johan Edwardos, that's an Allstar right there. John Edwards? LoL, he'll never make it with that name. Like pro-wresting jobbers.

"The champion weighing in at 275 lbs., Akilla the Stud!!!!

And the challenger weighing in at 230 lbs....Steve Jones".

Quote:

His name man...that's how you know the guy won't amount to much. Seriously, when is the last time a guy with a name THAT plain amounted to anything in the NBA?

Josh Smith?

frown.gif

We need a big banger.

One who can rebound and maybe block some shots.

Someone to give and take a foul without getting killed.

Clog up the center lane on defense.

Not a starter - Perhaps just the 12th man.

Sounds to me like we got him!! I hope so!!

GO HAWKS !!! cool.gif

• Premium Member

LoL...

Come on man...!

Andew Bogut - that's white all day, but his name rocks! He has a chance.

Channing Frye - that sounds cool! He's not white, but if he were, I'd give him a pass on that.

Now look at some older names...

John Stockton...Tom Chambers - that sounds like the heavyweight tag team champs.

Drazen Petrovich...Pete Maravich - again...rocks.

Doug Edwards. Hmmm.

(lol, I'll play this game with ya'll ) smirk.gif

• Premium Member

Well, it's probably Joshua which is okay; but even if it is just Josh, it's still got spunk to it. Josh is not a plain name to me. Smith is. And one plain name is cool. Put the two together though and I'm tellin' ya man...

Now let's flip this for a sec.

Joe Smith...hmmm... vs. Josh Smith...

Joe...Smith...

LoL, yyyeah.

(this is fun...)

• Premium Member

Y'know, I'd say Joe is a pretty plain name (I mean come on..."average joe") Johnson is as plain as it gets...

But you put two names like that together and it has a ring to it...

Joe Johnson that sounds hard, man! Just say it "Joe Johnson"

It's like dude's name... Edwards. Put two of those together

Ed Edwards? Eddie Edwards? Come on now!

Joe Jones?

Joe Joseph?

John Johnson?

Will Williams?

Joan Jones?

COME MAN!!!! THEM SH!TS ROCK!

LoL, I have escaped again!

• Premium Member

ROTFLOL...

I know. I understand what you're saying (and that's pretty damn funny) but I dunno...it just doesn't hit me that way. I guess because I have learned to see past color altogether.

Honestly, I swear I thought John Edwards was black. I didn't expect him to look like that...