• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What feature would you like to see added to Hawksquawk?

Admin

You make for a horrible businessman Dolf. You should be loading this site up with hidden fees but instead you are just *giving* the product away for free.

But in a more serious tone, others should be donating more often. The forum does not have any ads and provides a great place to discuss that team we all care about.

You're a good man, despite what I often say on here, and very much appreciate all of you who do donate. We get just enough in donations to support the software, chats, mods, etc. that I do around here and if even half of our regulars donated we'd have enough to really help out Chillz and get the hosting platform upgraded and make the site run a lot faster and more smoothly. Everyone who donates is appreciated and I'd never expect any donations from people but those of you who haven't ever donated and use this site regularly, if you can donate it would help us out a lot.

• 1 month later...

You know what would be great? A bookmark/reminder function. If there was a way to tag a thread, like say the one where some guy on this board thinks the Hawks will be looking up at Detroit come December because they have Josh Smith. If there was a way to make that thread or better yet that post pop us on say December 15 for revisiting would be great.

You know what would be great? A bookmark/reminder function. If there was a way to tag a thread, like say the one where some guy on this board thinks the Hawks will be looking up at Detroit come December because they have Josh Smith. If there was a way to make that thread or better yet that post pop us on say December 15 for revisiting would be great.

You can sorta bookmark threads already by clicking the "Follow This Topic" button at the top right of every post and then you can click on your username in the top menu bar and click "Content I Follow" or click this link to see what you're following. I don't know if there's a mod out there to bookmark a particular post but I will look into it. I like the reminder idea as well.

• 6 months later...

As a spitball idea, is there a way to tag posters in a thread? I know I do not read all posts on this board, so it would be a quick easy way of someone to get my attention. Or a way for me to get someone else's attention in a thread they may not be following. I could imagine this becoming a pain in the ass, but it's a thought.

Did someone mention something about this @hawksfanatic? You can either type the @ symbol and the username or you can click the button in the user info pane on the left just above their gender.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I be annoying with requests again this month? The Blogs should be more active or prominent on the site. I am not sure how to do it, I am just an idea man.

I tried getting people interested in it years ago but there was almost no interest.

Looks like @lethalweapon3 has at least a passing interest...

I would say the blog function is not well integrated with the site. I don't know what would make it better, but after seeing that lw3 put pictures in his blog post I feel ripped off by not looking there for the game threads. I guess starting a thread on the message board is about the same as a blog post?

Looks like @lethalweapon3 has at least a passing interest...

I would say the blog function is not well integrated with the site. I don't know what would make it better, but after seeing that lw3 put pictures in his blog post I feel ripped off by not looking there for the game threads. I guess starting a thread on the message board is about the same as a blog post?

I set up a system for him where he creates his game previews as a blog, I export those to XML and then re-import them back into the main forum to auto create the game threads. The blogs could be a lot more integrated if people used them but they won't, just like most people refuse to use the right forums to post in and that requires a lot less from them than writing blogs.

I set up a system for him where he creates his game previews as a blog, I export those to XML and then re-import them back into the main forum to auto create the game threads. The blogs could be a lot more integrated if people used them but they won't, just like most people refuse to use the right forums to post in and that requires a lot less from them than writing blogs.

I follow his blog through the RSS feed and can view it in feedly, but the pictures don't show up for me. Is there some reason for this?
I never knew there were pictures with the write-ups, so I feel like I have missed out on a good chunk of what could be. I understand what you mean with posters not even posting in the right forum. The blog feature seems so cool, it seems underutilized to me. I don't really have any suggestions, but it seems like it has so much potential.

I follow his blog through the RSS feed and can view it in feedly, but the pictures don't show up for me. Is there some reason for this?
I never knew there were pictures with the write-ups, so I feel like I have missed out on a good chunk of what could be. I understand what you mean with posters not even posting in the right forum. The blog feature seems so cool, it seems underutilized to me. I don't really have any suggestions, but it seems like it has so much potential.

Beats me I don't have much experience following RSS feeds and what not.

You can always view his blog post if you look at the bottom of his game threads there's a link to view full article and that will have the blog post. I'm guilty of not using that much either.

Beats me I don't have much experience following RSS feeds and what not.

You can always view his blog post if you look at the bottom of his game threads there's a link to view full article and that will have the blog post. I'm guilty of not using that much either.

Damn RSS feeds, ever since Google Reader went down I have been struggling with them. Although I feel like there is something that a website can do to their RSS feed that jams up the feedly reader. I notice that some blogs RSS feed will show everything, including pictures. Others will omit pictures. Some will cutoff half of the blogpost/article. And a few (shakinthesouthland I am looking at you) will show only the title of a blogpost in feedly. I would guess that the blog RSS feeds that do not show the entire article want you to have to actually click on to their website. That makes sense for me, but it also defeats the purpose of using feedly...

Edited by hawksfanatic

Damn RSS feeds, ever since Google Reader went down I have been struggling with them. Although I feel like there is something that a website can do to their RSS feed that jams up the feedly reader. I notice that some blogs RSS feed will show everything, including pictures. Others will omit pictures. Some will cutoff half of the blogpost/article. And a few (shakinthesouthland I am looking at you) will show only the title of a blogpost in feedly. I would guess that the blog RSS feeds that do not show the entire article want you to have to actually click on to their website. That makes sense for me, but it also defeats the purpose of using feedly...

Yeah @hawksfanatic RSS can vary wildly in how it's displayed. I'm SERIOUSLY hacking our RSS stuff via Yahoo Pipes and basically re-creating the output of the RSS to make our news feed work and I've done as much as I can with @lethalweapon3 and his game preview threads but unfortunately the "entry image" that is included in the blog package doesn't export with RSS. So I've asked lethal to include his images as regular post attachment images as I think those should export with the RSS and then be re-imported into the forum game threads. I created a test version of his blog with his image and I think it looks a lot better and should get his funny images seen more.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/blog/12/entry-148-test-blog-entry-with-image/

BTW here's a screenshot of what I'm doing with Yahoo pipes for our news feed.

post-5-0-35201500-1394324650_thumb.png

That is so cool. It makes me want to understand RSS feeds and Yahoo Pipes so I can better follow what you are saying...but I catch the overall message. I wish I had a sliver of the website knowledge you have @Dolfan23. And, as always, a huge thanks to keeping this website top-notch. You're always improving an already great website!

That is so cool. It makes me want to understand RSS feeds and Yahoo Pipes so I can better follow what you are saying...but I catch the overall message. I wish I had a sliver of the website knowledge you have @Dolfan23. And, as always, a huge thanks to keeping this website top-notch. You're always improving an already great website!

@hawksfanatic you can pick Yahoo Pipes up pretty easy just by playing around with it and seeing what results it gives you. The neat thing (besides it being FREE) are that you can take a bunch of feeds you use right now and plug them in and change attributes to suite your needs so that maybe they'll display better in Feedly. You can preview from right in the pipes and see what your output will be, if it's valid or not, and then go from there. Then you get a new RSS URL that you'll use in your Feedly app and you should have a better output than you currently have. It only took me an hour or so of playing around with Yahoo Pipes before I figured it out and you're a pretty smart dude so I'm confident you'll get it.

BTW I'm working on compressing a lot of our files and upgrading our server PHP so hopefully it will make this site load quicker. Thanks for the appreciation, I uhh appreciate it :)

Aw man why do you have to throw a cool thing like this at me? I refuse to look at that right now because it will end up being a huge timesuck for me. Maybe later though.

Aw man why do you have to throw a cool thing like this at me? I refuse to look at that right now because it will end up being a huge timesuck for me. Maybe later though.

Oh yeah I'm sure you'd like it and I hope it wastes many, many hours of your time.

BTW you should be noticing a HUGE increase in the speed that the site is loading right now. I'm hoping that all of the things I've done today are what's causing it but the pages are loading exponentially faster for me now than they have been.

• 2 weeks later...